Indian Glassfish food requirements?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apolloobserved

AC Members
Mar 27, 2010
SF Bay area (East Bay)
I have 4 Indian Glassfish (Parambassis ranga) in my brackish aquarium. I have had them for almost 3 weeks. They seem to be okay but I can't figure out what they are eating. I have 3 guppies and bumblebee gobies also in the tank. I have feed my fish flakes, live brine shrimp and frozen cyclops. The guppies go for the flakes and live shrimp. The gobies munch on the live brine shrimp. But I have not seen the glassfish eat. They approach the shrimp check them out and look interested but allow them to pass. The aquarium is heavily planted. Any ideas on what they might like to eat? I did see on eat something on one of the leaves of my java fern. peace kris =)

jedc53

Registered Member
Apr 15, 2010
I have read the information of Glassfish.The Glassfish is compressed and some oval.The Indian glassfish fit fine in a 10-gallon tank.It is also known as victims of the fad to have Dyed Fish.Glassfish have a reputation for being difficult to keep alive,but this belief largely stems from the myth that they require brackish water to survive.

SalmonAfrica

Say what now?
Aug 28, 2009
Johannesburg, South Africa
www.instagram.com
Real Name
Tim
Indian glassfish can be difficult to get to feed - especially among active feeders such as guppies. At first you might find that they will only accpet live foods, and then eventually adapt to a frozen diet. It's also been shown that the larger the school is, the more confident they are. Once glassfish settle in an aquarium, they're likely to accept most foods and swim around confidently.

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
You can go to the LFS you got them from and ask them what they feed the Indian Glassfish. They might just be picky right now so if you start with the same foods that the store was using you may have better luck.

As soon as I got Indian Glassfish they were eating flakes, although they were soon added to a brackish tank and fed mostly frozen foods.

Markushka

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
NW New Jersey
yo don't have to keep these guys in brackish water, they are freshwater fish. What is your specific gravity? If you introduced these fish from a freshwater environment strait into a brackish one, they are probably still stressed. as to feeding them try frozen bloodworms, frozen tubifex, or live blackworms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store