UPDATE: New Marineland VisiTherm Heaters Failing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
This year I felt it was time to start replacing older heaters in the tanks. I've always used the Marineland VisiTherm heaters without issue. They kept the tanks at the temperature I wanted with accuracy. I have two of the newer, made in China now, 300W heaters in my 75G tank. I just noticed my tank water temperature is 70F, not 80 which is what it is supposed to be. Both heaters are still coming on. They've been at least 4 degrees off the set temperature from right out of the box. So I just adjusted the thermostat to correct that difference. It's just been somewhere in the last couple of days that this temperature drop occurred. These heaters are guaranteed for life.....but I really don't want them anymore. I don't want to have to worry about cooked or cold sick fish. Are there any dependable heaters (not in-line) that someone can recommend quickly. I'll speak to Marineland tomorrow, see if I can get my money back for this garbage and need to get something else. So tell me about the heater you recommend. I'm looking to hear about heaters that have been purchased within the last year since your older heaters may no longer be made the same today.....like the Marineland line now!

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
i have several new ones and am lucky I haven't experienced any issues. Definitely push the issue with Marineland.

I have some new Hydors....but am dissatisfied with the settings on identical heaters in same sized tanks next to one another....one is set at 79, one at 73 and both tanks stay at 76.....

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I tell you...I'm not sure there is one without an issue! What about trying a controller? That is finally what I decided to do after reading ALOT about heaters. It's only been a few weeks but the temp on my 150 never strays from 82. I am using a reef keeper lite, but jehmco I think has some reasonable priced ones.

Just a thought.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
I'm glad all my tanks are goldfish so I dont have to bother with heater problems.

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
i had problems with the old one and replaced two in a month, one overheated and one was zapping me, to think, i swore by them too...

i went with the sera ones, they come with a plastic shield and they actually are just about right on for the temp and thier measurement, closed or open top, it does let the temp swing about 2-3 degrees though

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Wow.Sounds like I'm not going to be buying any more Visitherms! I have Marineland heaters in both my tanks...wonder if I should look into replacing them...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store