Seeking live gravel cleaner

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

annekaelber

Registered Member
Nov 8, 2009
Hello!

I'm kinda new to AC -- been reading off and on for a while, but this is my first post. I'm a reasonably experienced aquarium keeper. I've currently got a 120 gallon aquarium, thinly stocked with guppies, "rescued" feeder goldfish and rosy minnows (my housemate is a softy, what can I say?). I've got 2 plecos, 2 albino corys and 2 (used to have 3) kuhli loaches.

The loaches were purchased because my gravel is clean on top (goldfish are pigs!) and I was hoping they would burrow down and help clean up the settled crud. They mostly hide under my driftwood pieces and come out when I feed the tank. I'm concerned I've not read their needs correctly and misunderstood what they would do for the tank. One is missing (presumed dead) and the other two look paler to me than they used to. I've read they like a more carnivorous diet, so I'm hoping to add that tomorrow.

But, that still leaves me with my original desire unfulfilled. What is safe to put in this aquarium to clean the gravel for me? I'm hoping to move the fish to another aquarium soon and fill this tank with Angels and danios. So, it'd be great if the suggested cleaners are safe with these fish as well.

Thanks!

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
The best gravel cleaner is a siphon, like a Python or something similar. Really, you're going to have to do it yourself. No fish are going to eat the accumulated wastes that collect in the gravel.

However, Malaysian trumpet snails are excellent at keeping the substrate aerated and turned over. The population won't get out of hand as long as you don't overfeed the tank.

Last edited:

sed03f

a plant a fish
Jul 23, 2008
Florida
inverthobby.com
Real Name
Sarah
Its difficult to say since you will be switching to different fish. I know for a fact that a 120g would need more than just 3 kuhlis. I have at least 10 in my 55g. You can buy them discount on aquabid.com, I have black and striped ones.

What color sand do you have? I use white, and they occasionally turn nearly white to blend in with the sand, what is the temp on the tank?

Dojos are good at sifting through the sand, but like a cooler temp, though I have seen them live in tropical tanks. Have you tried MTS these snails like to bury in the sand. But if you like kuhlis, like me, then you should try getting more since they are good at what they do:)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My kuhlis don't dig in sand, some people say they poke around in gravel. they like a tropical temp unlike goldies so they may be a little cool. A couple of mine are paler all the time but otherwise healthy.

A gravel vac is the best way to remove the buried detritus, no fish eat poo of course or will go everywhere to stir substrate enough. Don't forget to pick up rocks etc once in a while to get under them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store