My letter to Marineland regarding the Stealth Pro heaters..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Sent this to Marineland today...

Hi, I am a member of www.aquariacentral.com an online aquarium enthusiast’s forum with over 100,000 members, and still growing! Personally I have 8 aquariums up and running and all of them have stealth heaters. I have been in the hobby since 1980.
Of the members on aquariacentral.com that are serious about the hobby, most all recommend using the stealth heaters due to their accuracy and dependability, However, with the release of the new stealth pro models, we are less than impressed. Most of the reviews I have seen of this product, as well as my personal experience with the 3 PRO models I have, have been less than desirable. The biggest complaint is that they tend to crack, and in extreme cases, explode. I have seen 2 cases documented with photos of the pro heater exploding, and shattering the aquarium. While this is a concern among us, it is not the only one.
All of my tanks with the stealth pro heaters are at least 4 degrees off, while this may not be a lot, it is when you are raising delicate species such as discus, and some shrimp species. Many people on the forum, myself included feel that while the new pro model stealth heater may be more aesthetically pleasing, with its lighted control knob, and elliptical tube, we still feel this is an inferior product, and is nowhere as reliable as the old Stealth heaters. Quite frankly, we feel let down by the apparent lack of quality in the new stealth pro models. Many of us are starting to consider other brands.

What I am trying to say is this; unless the quality of this product improves to be as good as its predecessor, you will begin to lose sales of this item, because as it stands right now, I and several other members of a 100,000 member online aquarium society wouldn't in good conscience recommend this product to a friend. This is a huge disappointment as I have recommended Stealth heaters to everyone that has ever asked me about aquarium heaters.

I'll post their response when i get one.

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
I don't suppose you ran this by the owner of the site?

The Zigman

Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Sorry, I wrote it in MS word, and pasted it here.

I use the gray skin so my default text color is white, but ehrn I pasted it, it was black and very hard for me to read...

Hi, I am a member of www.aquariacentral.com an online aquarium enthusiast’s forum with over 100,000 members, and still growing! Personally I have 8 aquariums up and running and all of them have stealth heaters. I have been in the hobby since 1980.
Of the members on aquariacentral.com that are serious about the hobby, most all recommend using the stealth heaters due to their accuracy and dependability, However, with the release of the new stealth pro models, we are less than impressed. Most of the reviews I have seen of this product, as well as my personal experience with the 3 PRO models I have, have been less than desirable. The biggest complaint is that they tend to crack, and in extreme cases, explode. I have seen 2 cases documented with photos of the pro heater exploding, and shattering the aquarium. While this is a concern among us, it is not the only one.

All of my tanks with the stealth pro heaters are at least 4 degrees off, while this may not be a lot, it is when you are raising delicate species such as discus, and some shrimp species. Many people on the forum, myself included feel that while the new pro model stealth heater may be more aesthetically pleasing, with its lighted control knob, and elliptical tube, we still feel this is an inferior product, and is nowhere as reliable as the old Stealth heaters. Quite frankly, we feel let down by the apparent lack of quality in the new stealth pro models. Many of us are starting to consider other brands.

What I am trying to say is this; unless the quality of this product improves to be as good as its predecessor, you will begin to lose sales of this item, because as it stands right now, I and several other members of a 100,000 member online aquarium society wouldn't in good conscience recommend this product to a friend. This is a huge disappointment as I have recommended Stealth heaters to everyone that has ever asked me about aquarium heaters.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
You should also email about their insane long return for rebates. I waited 9 months for a $5 return. 6 months for a $10, and the $10 rebate was sent in a month after the $5 one!

Navyscuba

The Fish Envy
Jul 5, 2009
Bartlett,TN
www.thefishenvy.com
Real Name
Angel Rivera
I wrote a letter like that to Petsmart Corp. because on one of my visits to the store closest to me to get some reptile supplies I passed by their fish department and I was extremely disappointed why the instructions to set up a tank that overheard the sales rep telling a young teenage kid. About 5 days after I got a call from the regional manager and the store manager called me the next day. Hahahaha it was awesome.

Just Prince

AC Members
Nov 2, 2007
Sorry son but you don't speak for me and I think it was wrong to in to reference the forum and the forums membership in your letter to Marineland. The forum members who had gripes with Marineland over their heaters as far as my knowledge were satisfied with the company's response.

The Zigman

Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
OK So it has been brought to my attention that this may have been a bit msleading on my part. So in order not to misrepresent myself, or mislead my intentions, I sent this as a follow up:

This is a clarification to my earlier email

I may have been misleading in my earlier message, I am in no way an authorized representative of aquariacentral.com, nor am I trying to insinuate that all members of the forum there are dissatisfied with your heaters. I simply wanted to let you know, as a concerned consumer of your products, that there is a growing concern with the quality of the Stealth Pro Heaters. While the original stealth heaters were bulletproof, and dead accurate, several hobbyists have voiced opinions of the new PRO models, and I just wanted to give you a friendly heads up about that concern. I have always used only Stealth heaters, and just want the new Pro models to be as good as the old ones were.
Sorry If I was misleading in my earlier message

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store