Botia Striata & Powerhead

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kjr928

Go fish yourself.
I have 8 small botia striata & 3 botia sidthimunki in a 90g. I have read that they benefit from a current.

I want to buy a powerhead for them but I have no idea what gph to get.
Someone advise please? Thanks!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I use a AC 50 (I think or 70) & MaxiJet 1200 & 400gph in my loach tanks,2 55g & 75g.

A BIG warning I had a small histrionica loach that lived INSIDE a powerhead, he swam into the outlet side. Even though I knew he did that & decided to remove it, he stayed in there when I took it out. I couldn't see him & thought he must have come out but NO, he fell into the sink & down the garbage disposal. I was able to rescue him but he & eventually the rest of the histies died from a bacterial infection.

Now with my replacement histies I put plastic mesh over the outlets to prevent it happening again. I used the plastic mesh from an onion bag, not great looking but safe. I use the strainers or a Quick Filter on the intakes.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA

Jeremy Smith

Lizard loachnut
May 18, 2006
ma
I agree with Fishorama, sids and striata are not as happy with extreme flows. But they do apreciate more flow than what would be the ussual standard for most tropical fish.

Jeremy Smith

Lizard loachnut
May 18, 2006
ma
That flow rate should be apreciated by them.

I would put the power head in the middle of the water column, that way they can easily rest on the bottom under the current if they wish. (that is just my opion) Allthough they are to be considerd bottom dwellars in most cases they will swim anywhere and every where. As you have most likely observed already.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store