have a question about ick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
i have had SW fish for over a year now and i have been very lucky with all of them untill now..i have never had any illnesses with them..but i set up a tank for my daughter cause she loves fish..well most of her fish have ick..lost a few of them. and a couple i still have medicating them in the hos. tank..my question is do inverts like crabs or shrimp,or featherdusters get ick? because that's all thats in her tank right now...just wondering...thanks for answers in advance..:thm:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I thought I replied to this? The answer is no, however, they can use invertebrates as a substratum prior to cyst rupture and tomite release.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
No, inverts do not get infected with marine ich.
They sometimes can be carriers but the parasites last only a short time if there are no fish hosts present. That's why it's a good idea to quarantine all livestock including inverts. All it takes is 1-2 stray parasites riding in on a coral or even in a drop of water from a fish bag to infect the display tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store