What is the best way to treat internal parasite?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
My yellow tang has been bloated now for quite awhile. She is getting thinner all the time and eats like a pig. I moved her into a hospital tank, and she seems to have adjusted well. Now what should I treat her with?

The other fish seem ok, but will need to be treated also I fear. One of the clowns had white stringy poop one day, and it is gone now, and they eat well and seem to be gaining weight. (clown babies).

Thanks

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, depending on the parasite, praziquantel is a good food soak. It is primarily effective against most worms. Drs. Foster and Smith also sell an anti-parasitic pelletized food, if I remember correctly.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Thanks, I just treated with prazipro in a 10 gal hospital. Wheel see how it goes

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Something that I completely overlooked and just thought about was the intestinal flora that these fish have. They need various bacterial strains to aid in digesting the cellulose that they consume. If something were to happen to these bacteria, a similar wasting syndrome will ensue. The only way to recover these is either with time (the fish may starve by then) or introduction to a tank with other tangs (in which they usually reacquire them through coprophagy).

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
That is interesting. I bought this tang about 3 or 4 months ago. She went into a well established 30 gallon with sump and skimmer. This is where all new fish go at first. She had ich, of course, lol, and that cleared without treatment.

Then I moved her in with the damsels. She stood her ground well, but just seemed to get beat to the food, and then I noticed she had a large like swelling somewhat behind the stomach area, about in the middle by the lateral line. Just about double the thickness of her body overall, no color, like a big blister internally, except one dark spot almost worm looking in the middle of the clearer part of the bulge. She always has had a good appetite. Damsel tank is always high in nitrates. (no sump or skimmer)

I moved her back into the thirty, she ate well, had great disposition etc, and the swelling subsided as time went on, but her belly is dark and getting fatter but not the rest. I had somewhere in the mix added some clowns, and at one point saw white stringy poop from one clown. Not sure if the clown had it, or got it from the tank. I didn't document this.

Then a couple weeks ago, I got a pygmy angel cheap. All was fine until the day of my first post. Twinkles (yellow tang) was darting in the rocks and real skittish. I noticed the pygmy angel getting quite agressive, so that is when I decided to transfer her to the hospital and treat her.

My 40 cube is stable, so if she survives the treatment and all, she will get a nice tank with a tiny clown as a friend.

Today, she came out a little sooner for food, she is getting used to her new situation slowly. She eats flake and the red algae/seaweed as always.

I think it is just about time, and hope for the best.

Just remembered that at one point in the damsel tank the little like white shoulder strip got real long and pronounced for awhile. Should have got pictures I guess.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Update: Shortly after last post, Twinkles took a turn for the worse. She was barely moving, and on her side a couple mornings later. I scooped her out with my hands, and moved her back to the 30 gallon qt, but into the sump. Big ball of chaeto takes up most of it.

She was not moving, but still breathing. I just kindof propped her between the glass and chaeto and just hoped. Three days, and finally she swam into an open part of the sump and started taking food.

I moved the Pigmy Angel to the 42, and put the clowns in the hospital, and moved Twinkles back up to the main part. She has been eating great and started to gain weight and looking pretty good for a fish that almost died.

3 days ago I put the clowns back into the tank, (at night) and the next morning Twinkles was all wigged out, swimming upside down and in circles seemingly trying to look ferocious to the clowns, who abound with energy.

Today she seems less stressed, and finally swimming normal.

Below is a pic. Now however there seems to be some inflamation at the point where the fins connect to body. I shall keep my eye on it.

I used the prazi pro in this tank also, and now it is just over run with cyano. AARGH.

More water changes :nilly:

DSC04937.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store