Clown Pleco & Siamese Algae Eater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
I have a clown pleco in my 29-gallon tank. I'm about to inherit a siamese algae eater. Can I put it in with my clown pleco? There's no issue about food, as I feed algae wafers at least 3 times a week for the pleco and cories. What's a couple more wafers each feed?

pjrichar

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Indianapolis,In
as the algea eater gets bigger.. get aggresive and will chase just about anything around tank... i dont keep them anymore.. went with flying fox.. looks almost same excellant cleaner and non aggresive

bettalover

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
as the algea eater gets bigger.. get aggresive and will chase just about anything around tank... i dont keep them anymore.. went with flying fox.. looks almost same excellant cleaner and non aggresive
I think you meant the opposite... Flying foxes will get aggressive and stop eating algae as they get older and bigger..

I have 3 SAEs right now, each at about 3.5" long and they are not aggressive at all, very playful.

hollyfish2000

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
SAEs are not aggressive but are only good algae eaters when relatively small. They also like to be in groups. I usually have no less than three (if I have them at all).

But more importantly, they get HUGE and will easily outgrow your tank . . .

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
SAE's do not get huge
they should be kept in schools and given this they should be in a relatively large tank.
thay can get to about 6" tho most of the ones I've experienced are smaller.

they are very good algae eaters and will eat algae, if you reduce the feedings in the tank..
if flake or other is readily available they will seek this opposed to algae(who can blame them)

these should not be confused with the flying fox or the chinese algae eater..quite different in personality and physically

Last edited:

pjrichar

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Indianapolis,In
sorry for confusion... the SAE is sold at my lfs as siamese flying fox... same fish... if you look it up it does go under same names... but ya very good eater,, and doesnt bother anybody... the SAE is what i have and recommend,, most people get the chinese algea eater,,that one gets big and aggressive

bettalover

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
sorry for confusion... the SAE is sold at my lfs as siamese flying fox... same fish... if you look it up it does go under same names... but ya very good eater,, and doesnt bother anybody... the SAE is what i have and recommend,, most people get the chinese algea eater,,that one gets big and aggressive
unfortunately most lfs sells everything as Siamese Algae Eaters, including the Chinese Algae Eater who gets very aggressive when bigger.

But TRUE Siamese Algae Eater, aka Crossocheilus Siamensis, is not the same as Flying Fox, aka Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus.

Before i had my trio of SAEs, i had 2 that were about 4"+ that were really fat.. they hardly ate algae bc of the abundance of flake food..

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
Thanks all for your input. I'm afraid I was most inarticulate in my question. What I need to know is whether a clown pleco and an SAE will be compatible? Despite not being particularly fond of plecos as a general rule, I am nevertheless quite attached to my clown pleco, Oliver. He's my oldest fish and I'm convinced he's the reason I don't have to scape algae off my aquarium walls. Thus, I don't want to risk adding a fish to this particular tank that might not be compatible (species-wise) with Oliver. Any input will be most appreciated.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
If you're getting a tru siamese algae eater, then I say yes, they will be compatible, no problems. They do get to be close to 6" though, and like to sleep in the fast current of the filter. They are hungry fish. Mine keep my chewable algae away, but love zucchini and other foods that I feed my plecos. I happen to have two of the real SAE's which are Crossocheilus langeii and I was lucky to get what looks to be a male and female. The tank is across from my bed so I can lay there and watch them interact with each other. I was just doing that last weekend thinking that these fish are highly underrated! I have had tons of varieties of freshwater fish over the years and have never witnessed the kind of physical interaction with any other species of fish that these two SAE's exhibit. They snuggle with each other, they touch each other and rub each other constantly, they do these little dances together then stop and touch each other again. They are rarely far from each other. I have absolutely fallen in love with these gentle, loving fish because of their amazing caring behavior.

Be sure to take a look at this thread before you actually purchase an SAE and purchase the wrong fish: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192330

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store