shop owner fined ?1,000 must wear electronic tag,for selling a GOLDFISH to a 14 yr ol

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
shop owner fined £1,000 must wear electronic tag,for selling a GOLDFISH to a 14 yr ol

WTF!

Buying a goldfish at a pet shop used to be an innocent childhood pleasure.

But today an elderly pet shop owner told how she was 'entrapped' into selling a goldfish to a 14-year-old schoolboy, then warned she could face jail.

She had breached a law introduced in 2006 which bans selling live fish to anyone under 16.
Joan Higgins, 66, and her son Mark, 47, have both been ordered to pay fines after selling a goldfish to a 14-year-old boy​

After a prosecution estimated to have cost taxpayers £20,0000, Joan Higgins, 66, a great-grandmother who has never been in trouble before, has been forced to wear a tag on her ankle like common criminal and given a seven-week curfew.

Her son, Mark, 47 was also handed a fine and ordered to carry out 120 hours unpaid work in the community.

Magistrates were today accused of using a hammer to crack a nut in their bid to enforce the animal welfare laws.

The Higgins' ordeal began when council officials heard the Majors Pet Shop in Sale, Greater Manchester was selling animals to children.

They sent the 14-year-old schoolboy into the shop to carry out a test purchase and Mr Higgins sold the youngster a goldfish without questioning his age or providing any information about the care of the fish.

Mrs Higgins, who has run the pet shop for 28 years, said their eight-month ordeal had left them shocked and traumatised.

The court ruling means she is unable to babysit her great-grandson at his home, attend bingo sessions with her sister and or enjoy a Rod Stewart concert after tickets were bought for her by her TV actor nephew Will Mellor.

Her son said: 'I think it's a farce. What gets me so cross is that they put my mum on a tag - she's nearly 70, for goodness sake.

'She's a great grandma so she won't be able to babysit a new born baby. You would think they have better things to do with their time and money.'

He said: 'The council sent the 14-year-old into us. It is hard to tell how old a lad is these days. He looked much older than 14.

Mr Higgins added: 'Mum has been running the shop for 28 years and this is the first time anything like this has ever happened.
"She volunteers for the shows for PDSA (Peoples Dispensary for Sick Animals) and donates food for free to them - what has she ever done to anyone?
'This is what I couldn't understand. The system is a judicial joke.'
Majors Pet shop in Sale, Greater Manchester, owned by Joan and Mark Higgins​

Mrs Higgins almost fainted in the dock when magistrates told her she could go to prison for the offence.

Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 it is illegal to sell pets - including goldfish - to children under the age of 16 years unless they are accompanied by an adult.

The maximum penalty for breaching the law is imprisonment for up to 12 months, or a fine of up to £20,000, or both.

A council officer who was in the shop at the time of the undercover operation also noticed a cockatiel in a cage that appeared to be in a poor state of health.

The officer returned to the pet shop with a vet who examined the bird and found it had a broken leg and eye problems. It was later put down.

Mrs Higgins and her son were hauled before the courts charged with selling the fish to a person aged under 16 and for causing unnecessary suffering to a cockatiel by failing to provide appropriate care and treatment.

Pleading guilty, the great grandmother told Trafford Magistrates Court the cockatiel had not been for sale and she had been bathing its eye daily.

She had intended to take it to the vet but had been distracted and worried because her other son was in hospital.

The court heard that Mrs Higgins had possessed a licence to sell animals for many years and had never had any problems before.

The great-grandmother was fined £1,000 and given a community order with a curfew requiring her to stay in the house between 6pm and 7am for the next seven weeks.

Her son, also of Sale, Greater Manchester was fined £750 and ordered to carry out 120 hours' unpaid work.

Because of the family's circumstances at the time Mrs Higgins did not have her licence to sell animals removed, but both were told if they

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262250/Pet-shop-owner-sold-goldfish-boy-hauled-court-ordered-wear-electronic-tag.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0jgoT2AFC

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
that deserves a huge

wtf wtf wtf

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson
I think she got off easy. There is a law in place to stop animals to be sold to people under 16. She violated this law.

I hope now she will care who is buying animals from her and how they plan to care for them.

People want fish to follow under animal cruelty laws, but then when one is enforced they are in shock.

A 14 yr old should only by fish with parental consent. A responsible LFS owner should know who is buying animals from them and how they are going to be kept. I am glad there is a law in some places and it is being enforced.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
I think she got off easy. There is a law in place to stop animals to be sold to people under 16. She violated this law.

I hope now she will care who is buying animals from her and how they plan to care for them.

People want fish to follow under animal cruelty laws, but then when one is enforced they are in shock.

A 14 yr old should only by fish with parental consent. A responsible LFS owner should know who is buying animals from them and how they are going to be kept. I am glad there is a law in some places and it is being enforced.
I have to say honestly this mode of thinking is seriously whacked.

:crazy:Something is seriously wrong with the human race when selling a goldfish to a 14 year old nets a punishment such as this. Woe unto our society when the crackpot animal rights activists wield such power.:crazy:

They are fish, and fish that more often than not end up as dinner for another fish. I full well advocate giving my fish the best care I can but after it is all said and done they are fish.

The european common is a very very very bad idea as evidenced by such influences as this court case.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
They are trying to make an example out of her. I'm sorry, but I think its ridiculous that she is expected to card an individual to sell them a single fish. I'm glad such ridiculous laws don't exist in this country, and for goodness sake, there are so many more important things to be spending government manpower on. It sounds from the article, like they intentionally sent in a person who looked much older than their age in order to trick her into a bad situation. I'm sorry John, but there is no plane of existence within which you would be able to convince me that what they did was rational, sensible, moral, or any even somewhat positive qualifier for that matter. The people who wrote the bill, signed it into law, and even those who chose to enforce it all deserve a swift kick in the jeans if you know what I mean. Animal rights activism is very sadly for the most part, all fervor and an actual negative amount of common sense. If those zealots win, the whole of society loses. Beyond that, I really wonder how many of those frothing at the mouth animal rights nazis wouldn't think twice about taking a prescription drug to save their life despite it having been animal tested when if it ever came down to that. Boo on everyone involved in harassing this woman, and doubly so everyone who thinks that somehow the punishment fit the crime.

Zbbal

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Sevierville, TN
I'm fifteen, and I go into places like Petco and PetSmart all the time and buy fish without so much as a single bit of information from the employees or an ID check. If anything, make an example out of places like that. But seriously, this is just idiotic. The old lady didn't do anything wrong. At least, not enough to deserve an ankle bracelet. It's common to mistake ages. People ask me what college I go to all the time. She probably should have given him some information, but come on.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Let's see, the word "entrapment" comes to mind. I know of many teens that know more about proper fish keeping than many adults. I am not talking about the ones that think they know-it-all (BF et al) but rather the ones that actually do know what is involved.

I feel an arbitrary age is far from being an indicator of a person's ability. Once again, politicians will spend thousands to process a case that shouldn't be allowed into the judicial system. At least make the punishment fit the crime.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
I really really wonder from looking at the storefront if they would arrest and charge her for selling live bait to someone who is under 16 who was going to go fishing with the bait.

raining

AC Members
Mar 29, 2010
that must suck, well we cant really blame the government that much, they are just trying to protect animals from being abbused, one thing we can blame them is for not announcing the law to all the fish stores or posting it on LFS. she probably didnt even have known about the law. i know i didn't

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store