How to Rescue a Wal-Mart GSP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

LovemyPuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
I've heard a lot of people say that they want to rescue Wal-Mart's GSPs but don't want to contribute to Wal-Mart's tropical fish department. I got my two GSPs from Wal-Mart a year ago. I paid for them and I got them completely legally, but Wal-Mart's records never showed that they sold one of their puffers.

Here's what I did:

The first time, I went to the fish department and started talking to the sales associate. She told me all about how more than 90% of their puffers die in transit and how they feed them flake food and how she had NO IDEA that they needed brackish water.

I told her, "Y'know, they puff up if they're exposed to air. Would you mind if I get my own? I know how to catch them."

At this time, I glanced at the product number on the platy tank, caught my puffer and put her in the baggie. I asked the sales associate to tell me the product number so I could write it on the bag, and she did. And I wrote down the platy product number instead.

I got up to the front later and started chatting with the cashier. She picked up the bag with my puffer in it and said, "Wow, what the heck is that thing?"

I said (with a totally straight face): "I think its' called.... a plate-y... Or a platy...?"

She entered in the product number and confirmed, with confidence, that it was a platy. I paid $4 less than I would have otherwise, and Wally World had no record that they sold a puffer.

The next week, I came back to glance at the aquatics section. They had 20 puffers, dead or dying with ich and fungus. I waited in that section for about 20 minutes and nobody came, so I went ahead and caught the strongest one myself. (He later needed intensive treatment.) I bagged him up, wrote the platy product number on the bag, and didn't hear a single comment from the cashier when he rung me up.

So there's my confession. The cool thing is that I didn't steal them, and, in both cases, I could have explained it away by saying that I had written down the wrong number.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
That is clever, but...

The cool thing is that I didn't steal them
...I'm not sure that's quite true. It's definitely a gray area. Don't get me wrong, I am no fan of Walmart---I refuse to purchase anything for any reason from Walmart---but a place like that runs on very tight margins and a $4 discount on the fish is sort of stealing. I think that if you substituted the number of something of equal value, you could do it with a clear conscience.

On the other hand, buying any fish at all encourages them to keep selling them, so a boycott might save more fish in the long run if you could get enough people to do it... but of course, you can't.

Anyway, just my two cents.

LovemyPuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Okay... so maybe I should have used a product number from a fish with an equivalent price. :/

I don't think that they run on "very tight margins" when it comes to puffers, cellodaisy. If they lose nine out of ten to disease, they probably don't have slim profit margins. I don't think that making $1.50 instead of $6 on a puffer is really a huge difference to them. *shrug* It was probably the difference of me getting them at the wholesale price instead of the consumer price.

O/T, Cello-- doesn't your turtle eat your zebra danios?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Regardless of whether you call it stealing or fraud, its still dishonest.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Its deceptive and may aswell be stealing. Broadcasting this in an open forum shows how little you care for a business and even did it again. What ever happened to morals..

This forum will not advertise this kind of manner, nor discuss it.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store