compatability

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jayrob

AC Members
Jan 28, 2010
newcastle nsw
just a quick question to see what everyones opinion is or experience is, but looking to put 2xyellow coral goby with 2x ocellaris clown fish, in a 15.5 Gallon, live rock ( may like an a nem but need more research- they are tank bred clowns without nems) crushed coral at the moment- going to mix with sand (recommend size?) or should i just put the clowns in alone? are coral gobies safe from peppermint shrimp and hermit crabs?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Are you talking about the clown goby like the one in my picture? If so, yes, they are safe around shrimp and crabs. I think at the very least 1 clown goby with 2 clownfish would work.. but I never had much luck trying to keep 2 clown gobies together for some reason.

If you are talking about the gumdrop coral croucher (aka coral goby) then no, you can't have 2 in the same tank, and are actually related to scorpion fish and are poisonous.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Personally, having experience with the yellow and green (never could get a green to last more than a week), I would suggest either the yellow clown or a yellow watchman goby if you want yellow.. another good hardy small fish is the Fusi Goby, aka transparent cave goby.

Fusi Goby

Right now, the only "clown goby" I have is the White Tiger Goby, aka Circus Goby, but it NEVER comes out from inside the rocks... had it a few years now and looks great when you can spot it hanging upside down in your rocks.

White Tiger Goby

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
IMO a Royal gramma will get too big for a 15G tank. Min size on them is 30G. My LFS has one in their 400G tank and it is huge (compared to ones I see for sale), bigger than adult clown fish.

2 clowns is really going to be the only "swimming" fish you can have in a 15G if you want to avoid aggression issues. I would stick with the types of fish you were looking at, gobies, or maybe something like a geometric pygmy hawkfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store