Purple Tang Swimming erratically

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
Hey guys would like some quick help.

Purple tang is swimming pretty erratically. Also noticed his poop is a huge/white/fuzzy/stringy blob. It's very gross to even look at, almost looks liek his intestines.

What is the problem here? Tried taking a picture but he's so antsy he doesnt seem to stay still long enough for me

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
haha thanks hopefully he sees this.

i know this will be a question so the params are :
pH- 8.2
ammonia - 0
nitrite- - 0
nitrate - < 5
salinity - 1.024
temp - 77 F
Calcium - 480
Phosphate - .25

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
also should note. this has been happening off and on for the passed week.
this happened yesterday and then today this afternoon he was swimming around find all around the tank and its been going on for about a week.

he's always been extremely active and grazes constantly all day everyday.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Okay, we're going to need more specifics. Describe "erratic" in a bit more detail. Is the fish eating normally? Is it gaining, maintaining, or losing weight? Is it acting normally otherwise? What are you feeding or attempting to feed it? Edit: how long have you had the fish?

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
when i say erratic i mean it will be kind of like hovering for a second or two, and than zoom a short burst. and then swim leaning toward the side for a few seconds, and then kind of swim with short bursts like somethings just bothering him. very sudden movements.

and then an hour later he'll be fine. a few seconds ago he passed what was coming out of him and now he's swimming fine again.

i've had him for about 3-4 weeks.

he'll eat anything really.

spirulina, dried seaweed, frozen mysis, krill, he's never turned anything down. usually feed them something different everyday and rotate

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Looks like he got himself something nice and fibrous. I wouldn't be too concerned about it for now, since it looks pretty nice and healthy. Has it been there for a week or has it been defecating something similar all week?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store