Rainbowfish - pink gills are healthy gills?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chris-in-sf

AC Members
Jan 31, 2003
San Francisco
blog.chrissipe.com
Hi,

I will ask my question first. Are pink gills healthy gills, specifically on light colored rainbowfish? Or any fish for that matter? What if gills are red?

Here's the problem.

I recently upgraded tanks from 20 gal to 40 gal, moving existing plants and fish. I cycled the tank for more than two weeks with water, plants, few pieces of gravel from old stable tank, and a "cycling platy" who is still alive a well.

So probably too soon in the process I added 5 cute, young Pseudomugil furcatus, blue eyed forktail rainbows. 3 of 5 have now died. They all died very suddenly, with no indicators of sickness other than it looks like the gills are pretty red.

I also bought a single female Melanotaenia affinis (New Guinea rainbow) because it was alone at the store. It also seems to have pinkish gills and is flickering sometimes when swimming, but not always.

All other fish, a big SAE, rummynose tetras, 4 Cory's, 3 Oto's, 2 new angels, and platy are fine. PH is 7.0, ammonia 0, Nitrite did spike 2 weeks ago but is back to 0.

Thanks
Chris

chris-in-sf

AC Members
Jan 31, 2003
San Francisco
blog.chrissipe.com
self reply

Well since no one else did, I will answer my own question. And I guess these little rainbows are pretty rare since no one said anything.

I went back to my LFS to see if he had any more and check out the color of thier gills in person. The remaining fish also had the bright pink/red gills as mine (but more red than the picture below), so rule out gill problems as a symptom.

So from my observation and what LFS man told me, I'm going to guess that these are young and sensitive fish. And my tank is still in the final cycling stages, so I shouldn't have put young sensitive fish in yet. And like a good seller, he won't sell me anymore until my water is stable.

Unfortunately one of the remaining two was looking pretty bloated this morning, so I might be down to one left soon :( .

-cs

yupik21

Registered Member
Mar 27, 2004
SF
Visit site
hey chris

these little rainbows are beautiful - i have some youngsters of this species that i got recently, and have lost a couple due to what seems to be a gill infection of somekind

they're in an established tank with just a couple of other fish - well planted and all levels in the norm, as far as i can tell. it may be that they're just a bit more sensitive than most..

have you had success with them as they've gotten older? what literature i can find indicates that they breed pretty easily - i may try to breed them if they survive to adulthood...

cheers
yupik21 - in SF too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store