Diseased tank with shrimp/snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
I have a 5 gal tank that had a betta, 4 RCS and 2 nerite snails. The betta was moved to a QT tank due to illness and didn't make it. We aren't sure what the betta died of. So I assume I should nuke the tank in case correct?

Also, I intend on moving the shrimp and snails into a larger tank that is already set up with an albino bn and dwarf platies. What do I do to ensure the shrimp/snails don't pass whatever the betta had on to the new tank? Do I just put them in QT for a couple weeks?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rugh1982

AC Members
Apr 1, 2010
Israel
keep them in QT like u said. i doubt they`ll pass the disease on,they are a different kind of animal than betta

If I do what bradlgt21 said, do you think I'll still have to nuke the tank? I really didn't want to, but saw no other way to make sure that a new betta wouldn't catch whatever it was. Not to mention I really didn't want to cycle another tank after tossing out the filter media.
What about nuking the tank/decor but keeping the filter media so I don't lose my cycle? I know it's probably not a good idea, but just throwing it out there.

You mentioned shrimp, does that include the snails as well? I will probably actually keep them with the new betta, but the shrimp have to go.

Your plan sounds easier than what I had thought of. If I don't have to set up the QT tank that would make my life easier.

Anyone else have any opinions/ideas?

Rugh1982

AC Members
Apr 1, 2010
Israel
there is a possibility that what the Betta had wasn't contagious. dont nuke the tank for nothing, especially if you didn't see what killed the Betta

Rugh1982

AC Members
Apr 1, 2010
Israel
most tanks have some sort of bacteria in them. when fish get stressed or a bit weak, these bacteria attack. it`s not some sort of parasite, so in my opinion u can go ahead and get another Betta for that tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store