Bog Pond For a Bigger Pond Project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
Hello,
With the warm weather starting today, I got the itch to do some outdoor landscaping. I am redoing the area around our larger pond, and I am installing a smaller bog pond. The bog pond will be functional as well as attractive. It will be heavily planted with some of my aquarium plants that grow well, as well as seeded with daphnia. This will create a natural filter to help fend off the greenwater we have had in years past. I will post pics either today or whenever I get around to plugging my camera in ^_^. Before Pictures!

DSC_0273.JPG DSC_0274.JPG

NorthcoastGirl

Proud Fish Geek
Oct 28, 2009
The Rust Belt
Bog ponds are so awesome. They attract so many cool critters! I was thinking of creating a vernal pool in a corner of my yard to help boost the amphibian population. Vernal pools are similar to bog ponds, but more temporary. =)

Definitely keep us posted on the progress. Don't forget the flowers! Maybe some pretty yellow and blue flag iris? ;)

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
Bog ponds are so awesome. They attract so many cool critters! I was thinking of creating a vernal pool in a corner of my yard to help boost the amphibian population. Vernal pools are similar to bog ponds, but more temporary. =)

Definitely keep us posted on the progress. Don't forget the flowers! Maybe some pretty yellow and blue flag iris? ;)
Those sound great! It was kinda just randomly I wanted to ehance our pond set up and then I thought a bog pond connected to the bigger one would be great. Deffinately lots of plants.

I dug the hole to put thenpond itself in. Also working on a way to transfer water from the bog pond to th big pond. Any ideas? Will post pictures today!

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa

NorthcoastGirl

Proud Fish Geek
Oct 28, 2009
The Rust Belt
The bog filter is a great idea. All the bog gardens I've seen are simply a shallow pond, pond liner installed, with holes punched in it for more drainage, lol.

You might want to google "Gray water guerrillas"- people who re-use their old housewater by pumping it through a modified planted bog system.

roscoe70

AC Members
Apr 5, 2009
East Texas
Had a bog with my pond in NW Ok. Simply trenched it weaving back and forth and let the plants do their thing and spilled into the main pond. Used a lot of native reeds, arrowhead and swamp hibiscus along with mint. Man mint is totally uncontrollable. This was before the subsurface piping system previously shown, that could be awesome. Good luck.

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
Okay, I am finally getting some pictures up today. I will also include pics of the area where I am hoping to install the bulkhead, circled with blue. If anyone has any ideas for what kind of bulkhead to use let me know. I used the rest of the dirt to build up around the pond, soon I will go get rocks to line around it

DSC_0286a.jpg DSC_0287.JPG DSC_0284.JPG DSC_0283.JPG

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
Today I am gonna go look at rocks with my father. Hopefully we will find something nice. As far as planning what is going in here, I'm thinking of putting blackworks in here too. Any thoughts on this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store