Need Help Really Badly...Please Help..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ddlbrooks

AC Members
Mar 3, 2010
Flushing, MI
I've posted a couple other times about my yellow rainbow that's in a QT tank and I won't go through all the details again. However, I've been giving him Macaryn and Macaryn II or 5 days now. I had originally given him a fungus med due to a fungus on mouth. I was told to go to the Macaryn and I've done that. His mouth is better but he had a scrape that is still pretty red and he's had a bump or nodule right behind his right fin, which is the same side he had the scrapes on. As I've watched that it seems to have gotten red also. He hasn't eaten in 7 days.

Should I switch over to a different med for the wound and the fin? Or just do another round of the macaryn?

I've had other fish die but I haven't had any sick in QT for so long trying to save now I've gotten kind of attached to him.

Thanks for your hep.
Darlene

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
I'm sorry you fish is not well. Perhaps this could be put in the Illness section for better assistance? Good luck.

ddlbrooks

AC Members
Mar 3, 2010
Flushing, MI
My first post was in the illness section and after several days I put it in the general section and that is when I got my first reply. Thought I would do the same way so that maybe I would get a response more quickly. I do agree though that is where I should put it and get the quickest response but that hasn't been my expierience so far.

knight4th

AC Members
Jan 29, 2010
Maracyn and Maracyn 2 will treat both mouth fungus and fin rot, mouth fungus i believe is a gram positive bacteria, and fin rot is a gram negative bacteria. Just because the package says treat for 5 days doesnt mean tehy will be better by then. I have had to treat some of my five for up to 2 weeks at times. So keep trying. Go get your self some Frozen blood worms or Frozen brine shrimp, there loaded with protien and very tasty to you may have better luck getting your fish to eat that and it will help his immune system much more then your flakes will. You may also want to try adding some melafix into the tank. Its a herbal antibacterial but it also has aloevera, and tea tree oils in it wich will help the slime caot come back and will help any open sores heal faster. If all else fails you could try Tetra Lifeguard, its a broad spectrum treatment. I have had some succes with it but Maracyn and Maracyn 2 directly target mouth fungus and fin rot. Good luck

ddlbrooks

AC Members
Mar 3, 2010
Flushing, MI
Thanks for the info. His mouth is better and I have the melafix so I'll put that in. Although he's not eating, which has really worried me, he is out and about in the tank today. For a week he's been hiding under an ornament and only coming out when I forced him to so I could look at him. I'll just continue with the treatment recommended and I have been giving him frozen brine shrimp...or offering it every day. I don't ever see that he eats it and I constanly am there with the magnifying glass looking at him...hmmm...maybe that's why he's hiding...

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
Try frozen blood worms (not the freeze dried ones), IME, rainbows tend to go after them a bit more vigorously.

Anna Robinson

AC Members
May 25, 2009
try adding some melafix into the tank. Its a herbal antibacterial but it also has aloevera, and tea tree oils in it wich will help the slime caot come back and will help any open sores heal faster.
That's correct but I think you're mixing up two things here - it's Stress Coat that has the Aloe vera and the slime coat, Melafix contains only Melaleuca oil, a type of Tea Tree.

Best of luck, Darlene.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
How's he doing? I hope better. Update us please, and I'm so sorry for your troubles with this and that you didn't get help right away.

ddlbrooks

AC Members
Mar 3, 2010
Flushing, MI
Thanks for asking and he's swimming around more, just not eating. I was wondering if I were to buy some live black worms if that would be more appealing. Our lfs has them, thought I'd try that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store