Fuge to DT

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

phil47952

Registered Member
Sep 6, 2009

i'LL SOON BE SETTING UP A 20H and a 10G for my fuge. The 20H has been drilled and an overflow installed, I'd like to use an Eheim 1250 or 1260 for the return. My main concern is flooding the floor if I don't do this right. I know I'll probably need float sensors and ?

I could use some help.
Phil :feedback:

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
How high do you need to pump the water from your refugium to your display tank?
If it's reasonably expected height (4' or less), an Eheim 1260 is going to be quite large. I use a 1260 as the return pump on our 90g reef and sometimes think it is too large for that even.

You shouldn't need any float sensors to prevent flooding. As long as your return pump is not pushing more water to the display tank than the drain can move back down to your refugium AND you leave enough empty volume in your refugium to allow for the water that will continue to drain from the 20H during a power outage (or whenever the return pump is turned off), you will not flood the floor.

What size is the drain on the 20H?

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
I'd be concerned with this size pump, too. Typically the overflow is 1" and the return is 3/4". With the proper pump you can keep the flow under control. Too much return and you may be pushing too much water back to the tank for your overflow to handle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store