my clown loach needs help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nanguz

AC Members
Apr 21, 2005
rochester ny
www.forsakenplaces.com
He has a very slight case of ick. I raised the temp and added some salt. It seems like he has built up a really thick slime coat. He seems to be having trouble breathing and he won't eat. He's about 9 years old and 10 inches long. I don't want to loose him.

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
Did you increase the oxygen going into the tank as well? Salt and high temps. make it harder for them to breath. Lots of added aeration. How much salt and how high is your temp? It may be fungal or bacterial as well but sometimes when you're treating them they can look way worse before they start looking better. Oh...I hope things turn around for him, he must be beautiful at that age. I wish I could be more help. :(

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
Hi,

have you tested your water parameterS?It might also be he's shedding slime because of water problem? I've had bad experience wth salt and clown loaches, but i tried half dose of malachite green and my loaches before was able to recover.
hope your clown loach recovers.

nanguz

AC Members
Apr 21, 2005
rochester ny
www.forsakenplaces.com
I did a 3rd of the tank water change a little while ago and added an air pump and stone. He seems more alert now. what happened was I bought a couple little rainbows and they had ick. I should have quarantined them but I didn't. I used malachite green for a few days and the ick cleared up but the loach ended up with it. I didn't check the parameters this time but I did recently and it was ok. The amount of salt I added at this point is not even 1 tsp per gallon. I'm afraid to use the malachite green again because I heard that it can cause the loach to make lots of slime and suffocate himself. I'm going to see if he eats bloodworms this evening. If he does I would imagine that he's getting better.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Be sure to treat for Ich for the full length of time recommended. I would do the salt heat method for about 5 days past the last Ich speck falling off.

Ich protozoans have a life cycle, you may already know about it, but there's a really good write up on it in the sticky's above this disease forum. In fact, I'll attach it here for you.

Ich protozoans are tenacious and you really have to go long enough to kill off all of them, even when you think your fish are over it. Here's the link:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1657382&postcount=2

Lupin, one of our moderators and fish gurus here wrote this article.

ADDENDUM: Having said all that, it would really be very helpful if you could post photos of your sick Loach.

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
When I treat my tanks with salt, I use API Aquarium salt, 2tsp per gallon and dissolve it(completely) in about a gallon of tank water and add it very slowly, a little at a time, about a quarter of it every half hr to an hour, keeping an eye on how my fish are reacting. It is the salt that kills the Ich Tomont. I even add another HOB filter or power head to make it easier on the fish, as well. Make sure you do it for at least 7 days to make sure to kill all of them because they attach themselves to inanimate objects as well and when the fish rub against it, voila, a new host. I hope he's feeling better. Keep a close eye on your water parameters as well,. Good luck!!!
ps...I have 3 Clown Loaches and 2 YoYo loaches and they all do well with the salt treatment. :)

Last edited:

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
Thanks. I reposted this again because I'm so worried. One person suggested that it is velvet and not ich. .

Diagnosing fish diseases is soo frustrating!! I was just looking thru my medicine chest and I have "API General Cure" and one of the things it treats is velvet, described as golden velvety appearance or small white spots on side of fish. Gill infestation may cause labored breathing and scratching on objects in aquarium. They just might be right. Ingredients are: metronidazole and praziquantel. Sounds perfect!!!

It also treats Gill and skin flukes, Hole in the head, anchor worm and Fish lice...BONUS!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store