Corn snake info needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Hey everyone, well I went over to one of my friends house whos brother has a pet corn snake. I've always checked out the corn snake and always new the kid wasn't taking good care of it because the snakes skin (shed) was always left in the cage, he didn't really feed it often and when he did I know it wasn't proper, the water dish was sometimes never filled, so I just had the feelings its wrong.

Well while being over their house yesterday the brother came up to me and asked me if I wanted his snake because he didn't want it. He said he'll give it to me for free, so I just told him I couldn't take it last night just because I don't have anything ready plus I am not positive on this one yet.

I have a few questions since I don't know squat about snakes. OR if anyone has a really good care sheet they can recommend that would be great.

I mostly need to know the housing size of these snakes, any special lighting? What requirements do they need? Food? ( frozen or real ), basically all info about these snakes.

I am debating if I just want to take it in my care or take it in and try to sell or give it away to someone else who wants it.

Snake is 2 years old, 3 foot long and about 1/2 thick.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Hi Bonne, try this page. Looks like an excellent summary of just about everything you could want to know about corn snake care. You are wise to research before jumping into this project, it's quite a bit more involved than people might think. Good luck...

topazmoon62

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
Rougemont, NC
Hello, I have raised corn snakes before. They are great pets. I had mine in a 30 gal long tank with a screen lid, heat pad under tank on one end along with a heat light on the screen top on end of tank where heat pad is. I also had a heat rock on the end also. I also only used aspen bedding for all my snakes. Make sure to give them something to hide under. I always used Repti Safe in all their drinking water and change this often. Give them a big enough water dish so they they can soak in it if they want to. I feed mine live mice. But, It's easier to feed thawed frozen mice every week. Mine at 2 mice each week. Also make sure that your top is very secured. One of mine love to escape alot. I hope this is helpful. Feel free to ask me any question.
Good Luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store