Compatibility with Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jaykit

Means To An End
Feb 4, 2009
Alberta
I have a 180 gallon heavily planted high tech. set-up that has been running since last november and am really interested in adding a group of discus to the tank to be the main display group. I have been trying to read as much as possible to make sure I get this right. Current inhabitants are apple snails, blue tetras, congo tetras, serpae tetras, angles, bronze cories, and german blue rams. Parameters are 6.6 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, <10 nitrates with current temperature of 25C/77F.

Any reccomendations or help is greatly appreciated. Any links to sites would help as well. So here are my current questions:
1. Are the tetras are going to cause problems for the discus because the are more active?
2. Would the tetras also beat the discus to the food?
3. Will the added temperature of 29C/84F going to harm any of the current occupants? Or what temperature do you keep your discus tanks at?

rich_one

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Maryland
Your target temp of 84 degrees is good... I don't know much about your other fish though.

my big piece of advice here? get adult discus... not juvies. from a quality source (Discus Hans being my personal recommendation... but there are plenty others). will you pay more for quality adults? yep. will you regret it, as opposed to trying to do this with juvies, as a discus newbie? nope.

once you figure out the deal with the other fish... get adults. good luck!

-Rich

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
Hmmm, 84 is too high for the apple snails and cories at least. The apple snails will grow really quickly, but you'll start having serious shell issues at that temp, and they'll burn out pretty quickly.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Discus are warm water fish. When I bred them my temps were between 84 and 86 degrees. They also require clean, fresh water so your water changes need to be often (almost daily for juvies, 2 to 3 times a week for adults). If you want the discus to be the main display fish - I would get them first and let them be the only fish you have for several months if not a year. If you have never kept discus you have to ask yourself if you are willing to do the tank maintenance necessary to keep them happy and healthy. After they are well established, you can look for other tank mates but that would be a secondary concern if it were me. Their temps limit tank mates. You can also go to Simplydiscus web site and do a lot of research on keeping discus. I read all I could before I got my group of juvies. I had them for over 2 years and it was hard to let them go but the maintenance and the need for tank space made it necessary. It was an awesome experience raising them from half dollar size to dinner plates - I am glad I did it. Good luck.

HTH,

alan j t

AC Members
Nov 5, 2006
Reno NV
Real Name
alan
Discus are warm water fish. When I bred them my temps were between 84 and 86 degrees. They also require clean, fresh water so your water changes need to be often (almost daily for juvies, 2 to 3 times a week for adults). If you want the discus to be the main display fish - I would get them first and let them be the only fish you have for several months if not a year. If you have never kept discus you have to ask yourself if you are willing to do the tank maintenance necessary to keep them happy and healthy. After they are well established, you can look for other tank mates but that would be a secondary concern if it were me. Their temps limit tank mates. You can also go to Simplydiscus web site and do a lot of research on keeping discus. I read all I could before I got my group of juvies. I had them for over 2 years and it was hard to let them go but the maintenance and the need for tank space made it necessary. It was an awesome experience raising them from half dollar size to dinner plates - I am glad I did it. Good luck.

HTH,
exactly what he said!
and
bare tank, very clean water, varied diet, and start with quality stock.
and your good to go.
simplydiscus.com is the way to go!

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
I got my 15juvies from discus hans last june. adding new plecos, I lost one cuz I was foolish to add fish w/o taking more time to QT. they came down with parasites, hunger strikes & white poop. treated whole tank, loss 1, 1 is now very stunted, others are in varying sizes, none dinner plate size, more like dessert plates!

my discus are voracious eaters (they swarm like piranhas!) so after your discus become acclimated (whether juvies or adults) they will hold they're own.

I keep mine at 85 86 with couple of octos. I love discus, I wouldn't want to take away from their majestic-ness by mixing with other fish.

how about buy 4-6 juvies & moving your others into another tank?

good luck on whatever u decide! go discus!

Jaykit

Means To An End
Feb 4, 2009
Alberta
Hmmm, 84 is too high for the apple snails and cories at least. The apple snails will grow really quickly, but you'll start having serious shell issues at that temp, and they'll burn out pretty quickly.
Yes the apples were my major concern as from what I've read they should be kept at maxish of 25C/77F. They already eat like pigs and grow like crazy.

If you have never kept discus you have to ask yourself if you are willing to do the tank maintenance necessary to keep them happy and healthy. After they are well established, you can look for other tank mates but that would be a secondary concern if it were me. Their temps limit tank mates. You can also go to Simplydiscus web site and do a lot of research on keeping discus. I read all I could before I got my group of juvies. I had them for over 2 years and it was hard to let them go but the maintenance and the need for tank space made it necessary. It was an awesome experience raising them from half dollar size to dinner plates - I am glad I did it. Good luck.

HTH,
I have no problem spending the time for the maintenance on them at all and I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I jump into this too. They have been my goal fish since I got heavily into the hobby 5 years ago. Thanks for the link, I'll check that out.

my discus are voracious eaters (they swarm like piranhas!) so after your discus become acclimated (whether juvies or adults) they will hold they're own. I keep mine at 85 86 with couple of octos. I love discus, I wouldn't want to take away from their majestic-ness by mixing with other fish. how about buy 4-6 juvies & moving your others into another tank? good luck on whatever u decide! go discus!
I would love to move my other fish around but currently don't have any extra tank space in my other tanks and setting up another tank isn't an option right now.

rich_one

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Maryland
if you are skilled with planted tanks, adult discus will do fine in a planted. you do not need a bare bottom tank for adults. that, imo, is something you only need to do with juvies.

again... this is assuming you are already skilled with planted tanks. don't try to be a planted tank newbie AND a discus newbie! LOL...

-Rich

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I jump into this too. They have been my goal fish since I got heavily into the hobby 5 years ago.
That is the best thing you can do. I read on simplydiscus until my eyes hurt and then read some more. When I finally got my juvies I was ready and knew what to do. They are a beautiful fish and it sounds like you are up to the challenge. Also, check out the sponsors on simplydiscus, you might find a breeder w/in a few hours drive. I drove over 2 hours to pick up mine and it was worth it. I got to see his setup and also talk to him about their care. I look forward to seeing your set up in the months to come!

Jaykit

Means To An End
Feb 4, 2009
Alberta
if you are skilled with planted tanks, adult discus will do fine in a planted. you do not need a bare bottom tank for adults. that, imo, is something you only need to do with juvies. again... this is assuming you are already skilled with planted tanks. don't try to be a planted tank newbie AND a discus newbie! LOL...

-Rich
Well I wouldn't call myself an expert at planted tanks thats forsure but I think I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing. I'm thinking that I'd probably cut back on my fert dosing and co2 until they all got settled in or would you recommend just keeping the same just so that there aren't as many changing variables?

That is the best thing you can do. I read on simplydiscus until my eyes hurt and then read some more. When I finally got my juvies I was ready and knew what to do. They are a beautiful fish and it sounds like you are up to the challenge. Also, check out the sponsors on simplydiscus, you might find a breeder w/in a few hours drive. I drove over 2 hours to pick up mine and it was worth it. I got to see his setup and also talk to him about their care. I look forward to seeing your set up in the months to come!
Well this won't be happening till at least the end of the month at the earliest so plenty of time to read as much more as I can and decide what I'm going to do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store