MUDSKIPPER Questions!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vaine

AC Members
Apr 6, 2010
Metro-Detroit
Hello AC, this will be my first thread on here and would like to thank you in advance for any help you all can give me now or in the future.
I am in the process of setting up a mudskipper tank and have 4 skips awaiting me at my LFS.
I was reading some threads on here and I noticed that someone has their skippers in FW. All the research I have been doing has pointed me in the direction that they are brackish. Now the other thing that baffles me about this is the fact that when I told my buddy at the LFS that I was going to be putting them in brackish he asked why, and stated they would be fine in FW.
The LFS has had them there since Friday in tank water that has about a tablespoon per 5 gallons of salt in it. With the research I have done I was planning on giving them a salinity of 1.010, but was going to gradually raise the salinity over the period of about a month.
If I can put them in FW with no ill effects such as a shortened life-span I would like to do it but am not sure wether I can.
They are Vietnamese skippies, which I found is hard to find any information about them on the web. I figure they must be along the lines of the Indian skippies but just wanted to verify that.
Can anyone shed some light on wether I can keep them in FW?

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
This picture is of 2 skippers that came from the same group. I bought one and brought him home and acclimated him to brackish water. the other one is from the same group that I went back and got 3 months later that had been kept in fresh water,

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
My Mudskipper lives in fresh, although he's lived there his whole life. I think it may be better to keep them in brackish if that's what they grew up in.

vaine

AC Members
Apr 6, 2010
Metro-Detroit
I guess seeing I don't know were they were previously I should stick with the brackish idea.
Only thing is that I don't have a seeded brackish filter only freshwater. But I think with me raising the salinity gradually it should be ok. Maybe I should raise it over a period of two months instead of one.
Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store