....snails.... HELP!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephenpence

What.. my name isn't enough?
Feb 9, 2010
let me just say....:nilly:.
so some plants i got a while back had a few snail eggs on them i guess. not a huge deal. but me, being an idiot, thought "hey, they'll help with the algae blooms on the glass!" so i patiently waited for them to get a little bigger, and realized it wasn't helping at all! someone on a different thread likened it to "mowing your yard blindfolded". so today i look and these 6 or 8 little dime sixed snails have left 4 or 5 little gel-like egg clusters on my glass! and these are just the ones i can see!:rant2: they have GOT to go. my wife hates them and i'm not a huge fan either. the catch is, they're in my shrimp tank! so how do i get rid of them?? i read a thread earlier about a similar subject and they gave a few options, but it seems like they would all catch my shrimp as well as they would catch my snails. any advice? anyone want some random snails?? haha..

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I had a ton of snails in my shrimp tank...it took awhile, but cautious feeding and manual removal over the course of a couple months drastically reduced the snail population down to just a few ramshorns and some MTS which were all ok with me. Nothing else worked. I noticed when I fed Ken's veggie sticks all the snails would flock to it. So, I would throw a few down and wait 30 minutes and remove a bunch of snails!!

stephenpence

Feb 9, 2010
dang. that's what i was afraid of! those things reproduce insanely fast!! i hear that limiting their food supply will also cause them to reproduce slower, so i'm looking into ways to control the algae that i have blooming.. any truth to the rumor??

stephenpence

Feb 9, 2010
its actually a shrimp only tank that's in its beginning throws, so as far as food goes, i feed the shrimp every other day, and the snails never have a chance to get to any of it. if anything i may be slightly underfeeding the little guys (5 berried currently, so i must not be doing anything TOO wrong i suppose) but the snails spend essentially all their time on the glass, which is pretty green still. could that be enough to cause the population boom?

stephenpence

Feb 9, 2010
i can afford a cucumber to get rid of these guys.. good idea! the shrimp will probably bail off of it as i lift it out of the water yeah?

ESOXLUCIOUSS

AC Members
Nov 19, 2005
Dublin Ireland
get a plastic bottle put some cucumber in the bottom weighted with a stone, return next morning take out bottle full of snails..
Second option assasin snails, it does work believe me, u will be looking for snails to feed them after a while a sthey do a great job on the unwanted snails...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store