Simple Planted Tank Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

imafloormatt

AC Members
Jan 4, 2010
Washington
So I have a 55g tank that has a few different types of plants in it. It is not heavily planted because I don't have a good light or CO2 or anything (yet) but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to keep the plants that I have alive. I don't need them to start growing like crazy, just stay alive. Could someone point me in the direction of a product or something that can do this?
Thanks.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
to really give good advice we need to know more... what type of plants do you have? What is your current lighting/substrate/stocking/tank size...

Generally the best initial advice is to up your lighting first. If that is sub-standard then no other steps you take will be all that helpful.

imafloormatt

AC Members
Jan 4, 2010
Washington
I don't plan on upgrading the light any time soon or getting co2 but right now I have about 1 wpg. I don't plan on making this into a fully blown, planted tank ether. I have some bamboo, amazon sword, frill and some unknown leafy plant that I got from petco. I don't need these plant to grow but is there anything that could keep them alive? any kind of fert i mean?

imafloormatt

AC Members
Jan 4, 2010
Washington
I don't have a camera at the moment so I cant get a picture of that mystery plant up here for a few days. I just have the light that came with the tank I bought. Its an Aqueon double tube fluorescent strip with two 24W bulbs in it. But the plants aren't the main focus in this tank so I don't really want to blow a bunch of money on new lights and co2 and stuff. Right now, I have one of these under all of the plants (http://www.petsolutions.com/Default.aspx?ItemID=15517688) but that's all I really do for them other than the occasional trim. I am just hoping there is some sort of product out there that will keep the plants alive. (some of my plants have started becoming see-through and have been becoming "stringy"

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
just because you have a planted tank doesnt mean you need co2. with out knowing the what the other plant is its hard to help. many stores sell bog plants and claim they work in the aquarium like the bamboo plant but will die over time. you might want to go and pick up a shop light from lowes home depot 10-20 with daylight bulbs if you want the sword to live. light right now is your limiting factor.

imafloormatt

AC Members
Jan 4, 2010
Washington
I was thinking I would just tear apart the light I have now and customize it to fit some CFL daylight bulbs like I have seen people do in a thread in the "DIY" section.

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
As far a fertilizing, without light to photosynthesize, the plants wont use much added fert. If you believe you need fert, I would suggest a simple LFS brand, as you wont need much. They say like 20ml every week, so the bottle only lasts a few weeks, and youve spent 7 dollars on it.

You should focus on your lighting first. Make the tank look a lot more visually pleasing, and help your plants at the same time.

Once you upgrade lights though, you are gonna wanna do the big three upgrade at the same time... Its a hand in hand package.
1. lights
2. CO2
3. fert

2. and 3. are easy; DIY co2, and plenty of fish.

Or you can focus on your lights and start using the nutrients in the column currently.

Dont plan on this working on larger tanks, without pressurized CO2, and EI ferts.

BTW, clear stringy leaves are considered "melted"; Terminology lesson... :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store