poorly pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wendee

Registered Member
Apr 7, 2010
:newbie: hi all, i am new and this is my first post to the forum....my pleco is a bit poorly this morning...not moving much , looking a bit stunned and panting (breathing fast )....it looks llike his mouth is bleeding...it is red and swollen underneath...he does tend to dart around the tank alot and im wondering if hes bashed himself off a bit of wood or stone...he usually has himself attached to the bogwood quite happily or tucked away underneath it, but he hasnt latched on to anything this morning and hes quietly sitting in the corner of the tank out in the open doing nothing....not normal for him!...wondering if a bit of melafix would be the best thing today?..

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Plecos are generally not darters unless something is wrong in the tank. Are you sure that your water parameters are all in the acceptable range? What are the results of your water testing?

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
Welcome to the forums! We hope your Plecostomus gets better...

-Aaron

wendee

Registered Member
Apr 7, 2010
thank you for your welcome.....
sadly when i arrived home tonight my pleco was no longer alive...
i am about to recover him from the tank and have a good look at him...my inclination is that he has knocked his mouth...as he was bleeding this morning....i went to buy melofix in the hope that would fix him....he is healthy in every other way..his colour is good and his eyes fine and normal.....the water in the tank is fine and so are my other fish...albino frog..rummy noses..lemon tetras and botias.....he may hav had a sore mouth underneath and i havnt seen it...such a shame....bless him..:(

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
Know that this day, 2010, Our beloved friend, Pleco, has passed on from this earth and will be remembered for at least a week. He will truly be missed.

-Aaron

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Sorry to hear you lost him.

wendee

Registered Member
Apr 7, 2010
thank you...its quite sad...when we took him out the tank we had a look at him..upside down on the lower part of his mouth he had what i would describe as bruising...slight bleeding beneath the skin like he had bumped it....i dont know what hes done..or how....no growths or ulceration....shame.rip little pleco..we will miss you x

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store