Found a reel, any info?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Hey everyone. Well the other day I was up in my attic because I am installing fans in my house with my grandfather. While I was up there I was looking through all these boxes of stuff that was mine, and just family things. I noticed in one box a plastic box that was black with a red lid. So I opened it up and saw it was a fishing reel! Now I have no idea how old it is (probably old) and anything about it, meaning what its used for etc. So I figured I would ask you guys if you ever heard of this reel from the info that is on it. And if you have any info please let me know about it.

Reel is: Garcia Mitchell 300 it says on it

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Appears to have been made in the mid-to-late 70's and was a quality FW reel for it's day.

http://www.networkdimension.com/garciamitchell300c.htm

Here is the reel story of the legendary classic French-Made Mitchell-Garcia Mitchell open faced spinning reel that would introduce spin fishing to millions of people.
The Mitchell spinning reel which would become the Mitchell 300/ Garcia-Mitchell 300 was manufactured in France by a company known as Carpano and Pons. It was 1868 when Henry Jacottet and Louis Carpano founded a business under the name Carpano-Jacottet. This company manufactured watch gears and related items. In 1874 Campano retired and Jacottet continued the business.
Carpano retired in 1902. Having no children the company would be taken over by his nephew, Jean Constantine Carpano.
Jean Constantine Carpano died in 1927. That same year Charles Pons, Constantine's son-in-law, and the Carpano family formed a new company called Carpano and Pons.
In the mid 1930's Carpano and Pons was asked to do some designing of two existing spinning reels: the Pecos by Pecheur Ecossais of France and the CAP reel designed by La Canne a Peche of Agier, France.
About the same time a design engineer named Maurice Jocomin started working at Carpano and Pons, Charles Pons asked Jocquemin to work on a design of a new concept for an open-faced spinning reel. That marked the birth of the most well known open-faced spinning reel ever produced, The Mitchell /Garcia Mitchell Model 300.
Just how did this reel get its name? Charles Pons' brother's name was Michel. Michel died just before the company introduced the new reel thus the reel was named after Michel.
How did the Charles Garcia Corporation end up being the sole distributor of the Mitchell lines in the United states? It was 1946, and Jules Gumprich and Charles Garcia owned an import/export company named Impecco. Jules who lived in France sent one of the reels to his brother Otto, who was head of the Charles Garcia Co. in New york City. Thomas T. Lenk, who worked for the company, saw the reel and asked if he could try and market it here in the United States. It wasn't long before sales grew to a point that Charles Garcia and co. would gear its business around the new found success.
The Impecco company was the importer while Garcia continued the sales, advertising, etc. Upon Otto's retirement Tom Lenk became CEO of the company.
The Charles Garcia Corp. was the only distributor of Mitchell in the United staes from 1947 through 1978. The company was moved in 1969 from New York City to Teaneck, N.J.
Also in 1969, 100,000 reels were being manufactured a month. That same year Charles Pons died. The Carpano and Pons company was then restructured. At that point Mitchell became an independent company.
By 1972, Garcia was the main stockholder of Mitchell and purchused Mitchell in 1974.
In 1980 Mitchell was purchased by Browning.
By 1984, Mitchell Sports USA, a division of Mitchell/France, was a major owner and handled all North American sales.
In 1991, Mitchell was sold again, this time to Johnson worldwide. But Mitchell of France retained the manufacturing and design rights of all Mitchell products.
In 2000, Mitchell would be sold again to Pure Fishing Group of Spirit Lake, Iowa. Pure Fishing Group is now the main stockholder and principal owner.
One reel--The Mitchell / Garcia 300--without question had more impact on U.S. Manufacturers to start manufacturing open faced spinning reels than all others.
Also there are more Mitchell collectors worldwide than any other single manufacturer of open faced spnning reels.. There is an endless variety of Mitchell / Garcia Mitchell spinning reels for the collector.
For whatever reason, U.S. Mitchell collectors are of the opinion that the value of the left handed reels are the same as the right-handed models yet European collectors will pay more for the left-handed models
*I agree with the European collectors. The fact remains there are a lot fewer left handed reels manufactured than right handed.

* Ben Wright
From Ben Wrights Book. The Wright price guide for the reel man

dirtydawg10

Severum Mafia Don
Sep 5, 2005
Connecticut
It's funny you just posted this because...

I was at my Parent's house for Easter last Saturday and decided to head up to the attic. I found some of my old rods and reels from when I was a kid.

This is my 25+ year old Daiwa reel that I used quite a bit. I had it mounted to an old pole with the sliding aluminum reel rings on a cork handle with duct tape holding the rings in place...lol. It still seems to be working fine and I'm planning to set it up for my Son to replace the crappy superman one he uses right now...minus the duct tape covered rod ;)

Here's an Ocean City 1600 baitcaster that was handed down to me from one of my old neighbor's. I'm not sure how old it is but it still has the old silk fishing line on it and it is mounted on a steel Bristol fishing pole. I don't think I ever actually used it but I'm glad I never threw it out either.

After doing a little bit of research it seems that the steel rod is from the early to mid 1900's and the reel is probably from about the same time frame.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store