Pond plan, need opinions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
So a pond has been a thought to have for about a year now. My mom was going let me build it last year but we weren't positive on the area for it to be, if we wanted to do linear or prefabricated, etc. Well now I came up with another idea and need some opinions from you fellow pond owners.

This pond is mostly being built to house my turtles. Either it will be housing 1 or all three of my turtles.

My plan was to build a above ground pond attached to my deck. I came up with the idea to knock down one piece of the little fencing aorund the deck and extend the deck out a little bit. I would then build the pond out of cinder blocks. When the cinder blocks are all set up I would then pour concrete in them to make the wall stable. I would coat the inside of the pond will like old carpet and sand, and then add the linear.

Now I was figuring most of the pond is going be under the deck, and then having about 2 feet of it or less on the deck (to make it look like its just that little size showing) I would make a wooden box to go around the cinderblocks to make it look nice and all that as well.

My questions are though:

I live in NJ so my winters can be brutal and as well can not be. How deep would I need to make it?

My turtles never lived in a pond before, always in tanks, I'm nervous on the hibernating part, would it be smart to just bring the turtles in during the winter?

Should I put all three turtles in or just the one? Issue with that is, the one turtle was aggressive towards my other so I had to seperate, I was thinking if it was big enough maybe it would not be as aggressive?

Last, anyone have any comments? Plan good or bad?

Thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store