Cichlids with turtle?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I am planning to put a few cichlids with my turtle in a 55g aquarium. I was thing of something like a jack dempsey and a green terror. Are there any other fish that I can keep with a turtle in that tank?

:newbie:

pjrichar

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Indianapolis,In
i have some fast moving tetras and 5inch cichlids... anything fast or decent size,, what kind turtle you have

i have two diamondback terrapins in a stock tank

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Have you kept fish with this turtle before? Some turtles ignore fish, others eat anything you put in the tank; it just seems to depend on the individual turtle. You might want to start with something inexpensive if you haven't tried it before. I keep zebra danios with my eastern painted turtle and she does pick one off occasionally, so I won't be putting anything pricier in there, or anything too large for her to just swallow whole and make it quick.

knight4th

AC Members
Jan 29, 2010
i agree dont do jacks or green terrors, and cellodaisy is right, turtles can have wide ranges of personalities, so the terrors and jacks may fit in a 55 when there small, they certainly wont like having the turtle in there. so that can play out 2 ways, 1st the turtle is a coward and wont do anything he will just take a beating, possbily get an infection may lead to death may not, 2nd way turtle starts to get annoyed with the fish nipping at it and decides to start nipping at the fish now you got dead fish.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
My turtle is red eared slider (yes i will get a bigger tank). I have kept a green sunfish with him at one time and my turtle got picked on at first. Then my turtle decided to nip at the fins of the sunfish and peace was made. I was planning to keep small fast fish but they all disapear during the night...

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
ya, i was actually suprised. The sunfish was smaller than my turtle so i thought it would get eaten. But then after the turtle gave the sunfish a nip in the fins, they just left each other alone. They were together for a few months before i forgot to put a lid on my tank and the sunfish jumped. I have tried small fish but if it is less than half my turtles length, it gets chased constant;y

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store