Please help me cure my little Greyguy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ricci

AC Members
Apr 10, 2010
Hi I am new , this is my first post , sorry it is a help me post,but I'm desperate.

I call him Greyguy lol , I have had him for a year , My tank is 30 gallon,
My other goldfish are ok .. its just him that's sick.

His fins are getting red lines in it and the fins are deteriorating, and he has red blobs on each side of him, still eats but I can tell a difference in him.
I'm not able to get any meds for him till Monday so I am praying he makes it till the treatment,, Only thing is I don't know what illness he has
Sorry for the poor quality .

What should I do in the meantime? what treatment should I get him on Monday,how do I treat him?

Sorry and Thank u so much

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
First, Welcome to AC. Hopefully we can help pull your goldie through this. It sounds as though he may have Septicimia, but more information will help us help you. Exactly what else is in the tank, how long has the tank been set up, what are your water parameters (temp, am, ni, na, etc), what is your water change schedule, how long has he been like this? That should get us started. If it is septicimia, you will need a broad spectrum antibiotic and keep the water very clean and stable. Sadly, many times with this disease it is noticed too late. But lets not get ahead of ourselves. Please provide as much info as you can and we will try to help you through this.

Ricci

AC Members
Apr 10, 2010
My water parameters (temp, am, ni, na, etc)
Im ashamed I didn't know about this ,, when I got my fish a year ago the store didn't tell me stuff like this :( so I have no idea , the water looks clean,

what is your water change schedule
I moved the tank to my room.. so I got rid of the bad water and cleaned the gravel , it was dirty. Added a few new plants, plastic , added a new filter and use water condition stuff as well.

its been like this a week because at first it was because my angel fish was attacking him in the very same spot his red blobs are now I have him separated (angel fish) after three days the redness went away , now its back and it on his fins now, in lines like. and his fins aren't doing to good.

What should I all get on Monday ,, is it too late for him. Im determind to learn the proper way.. taking care of my babies

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Im ashamed I didn't know about this ,, when I got my fish a year ago the store didn't tell me stuff like this :( so I have no idea , the water looks clean,

Don't be ashamed. It happens all to often that stores do not know let alone give the information needed to properly house fish.

I moved the tank to my room.. so I got rid of the bad water and cleaned the gravel , it was dirty. Added a few new plants, plastic , added a new filter and use water condition stuff as well.

its been like this a week because at first it was because my angel fish was attacking him in the very same spot his red blobs are now I have him separated (angel fish) after three days the redness went away , now its back and it on his fins now, in lines like. and his fins aren't doing to good.

What should I all get on Monday ,, is it too late for him. Im determind to learn the proper way.. taking care of my babies
You have come to the right place. There is a vast amount of knowledge here and we are here to help.

While you thought you were helping your fishy friends by cleaning everything in the tank, you may have caused your good bacteria that live in the filter material and on all surfaces to die off. All is not lost though. You will need to be doing daily water changes of about 50% to keep the ammonia down to as close to 0 as possible. I would put good liquid test kit on your list of things to buy on Monday. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit is a very good one. Next, goldfish are cold water fish and do best in temperatures much lower than an angel fish (which is tropical). What other fish are in the tank? Now on to Greyguy. I would pick up both Maracyn and Maracyn II. One is a gram positive antibiotic and the other gram negative. The combination of the 2 will cover all possible bacterial infections. I don't know if it is too late for your goldie, but hopefully we can pull him through.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
You've done the right thing, coming here for help. If anyone can get you through this, it's the knowledgeable members of this forum. I've been bailed out more times than I can count.

First, you should probably read this artile so that you understand "cycling," which is relevant to "am, ni, na" (meaning ammonia, nitrite, nitrate): http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84598

When you did all of that cleaning, you might have reduced the amount of beneficial bacteria and caused a spike in ammonia. The best cure for that is just more water changes. Siphon out some of the "bad water" and put in fresh water that is the same temperature and has been treated with your water conditioner (dechlorinator).

Water change schedules vary, but it seems that most people change 10-50% of the water 1 to 2 times a week. When in doubt, do a water change.

What temperature is your tank? Do you have a heater? Goldfish are "cold" water fish and angel fish are tropical, which means that they can't be housed happily in the same tank.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Snoopy!

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Just a quick correction. You only need the Maracyn II not both. Gram-negative antibiotic kills both gram positive AND gram negative bacteria. Gram positive antibiotic only kills off the gram positive bacteria.

To me the poor little guy looks really torn up. Angels can get very aggressive as well as needing different water temperatures. One of the major reason for not keeping them together.

You said you have a 30 gallon tank with "other goldfish" in the tank. One of the most common things that many petstores encourage is overstocking of the tank. In a 30 gallon you should only keep 2 goldfish total (with no other fish at all).

When you overstocked the fish get stressed, they don't grow correctly, and disease starts to attack them. Pretty soon you start to have tons of fish dieing off. Instead of a goldfish living 15-25 years they only survive a year or two. So you go out and buy more fish and expensive medications.

With goldfish generally need to do a weekly water change of 25-50% of the tank with a gravel vac after the initial cycling is done. I do 80% weekly on my 125 gallon tank.

Ricci

AC Members
Apr 10, 2010
Hi everyone! I'm so amazed with the help here..
I cant get to a pet store till tomorrow,
My Angel fish didn't hurt is fins.. it just started to do this.
If I can save him will his fins get better,will his scales grow back? I'm going to do the medication treatment tomorrow early evening.. I hope he survives .
Again thank you so much
Important question,, I wanted to make sure.,, should I treat my other fish as well.. I positive the answers yes.. Well maybe I should go re-read all the comments on this thread lol
again Thank you!!

Last edited:

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Yes. If the water parameters are okay and any infection is treated, you will be amazed at how well the goldfish will recover.

If at all possible, the purchase of a test kit would probably be worth its cost ten times over if you notice similar problems. Many, many times, the issues can be traced back to cycling and water condtions.

Good luck! You've gotten excellent advice here. Hope he recovers well.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Exactly what else is in the tank[?]
Goldfish are "cold" water fish and angel fish are tropical, which means that they can't be housed happily in the same tank.
You said you have a 30 gallon tank with "other goldfish" in the tank. One of the most common things that many petstores encourage is overstocking of the tank. In a 30 gallon you should only keep 2 goldfish total (with no other fish at all).
:iagree:What other fish do you have? And how many?

I would just add, too, that I have cured a pretty bad case of fin rot with just clean water. My fish also had red streaks in his fins. I did daily water changes, about 80% every day. So, while you're waiting to get the meds and the test kits, I'd start doing really large water changes. Just make sure that you use your water conditioner, and you match the temperature of the new water to the temperature of the tank.

PS, a water change device called a Python is really great--it hooks up to your sink and drains the tank for you. Then you just flip a switch and use the sink to fill the tank up directly. No need to carry heavy buckets around! Python is a brand name, but several companies make something similar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store