trying to get my yo yo loaches fat.. lol

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sundevil88

AC Members
Feb 9, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Jose
Hello everyone,

I am trying to get my yo yo loaches to fatten up a bit.. they seem to be a bit on the thin side.

Should I overfeed? or are they any foods that will help them grow?

I have a 55g planted tank, and usually feed a variety of flakes, brine shrimp, blood worms, and pellets.

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
Go with the live or at least fresh foods.

Try them with a whole raw shrimp, bloodworms are good, or give them some little snails to munch on.

Dont overfeed of course, and keep up the water quality to keep them healthy and eating heartily.

Ian

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
How big are the yoyos? Small fish under 2 inches need frequent small feedings, 2-3 times a day & clean water to grow fast. They should get to ~4 inches in a year then slow down. I usually feed all my fish twice a day but more for young fish.

Loaches can get chronic wasting syndrome aka skinny disease thought to be from internal parasites +/or bacteria. Do yours look thin just behind the head? I worm all botias with levamisole just in case but it's hard to find these days.

All my loaches love Hikari carnivore pellets, ken's earthworm sticks & frozen bloodworms but none are fussy eaters, gourmands rather than gourmets. Becareful not to overfeed especially in a heavily planted tank where food might become lost & spoil. Go for an extra feeding instead. Remember extra food = extra waste = more WCs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store