Frayed Fins and damage to lense of eye?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MikeyB73

Registered Member
Apr 11, 2010
Hello,
My first post is one of an unusual nature that I need help with. In the last 3 days I have noticed some problems with some of my fish in my FOWLR tank. I can only assume it is because of my new aquascaping or a new addition of a Undulate Trigger.

I have an issue where my tomato clown fish is currently at the top swimming in circles. He apparently has frayed fins as well. He was perfectly fine until about 2 days ago.
My Porcupine puffer has damage to the outer lense coating of both eyes as well that just started. He just hangs out in a corner, sharp nose swims around as normal. Undulated hides or will come out an linger around the porcupine, not touching him that I can see.
Neither fish have any spots or other signs of trouble or distress other than that.
My new Undulated has some slight fraying of a couple fins as well.
All my fish are the same size, so no one fish is larger than the rest. They are 3-4 inches.

I have not witnessed any aggression by any of my fish at this time.

I did 2 things that might have caused the problem.

1st- I changed the rock layout in the tank, closed off many gaps and tightened the rock clusters, today, I fixed that and made more large openings for the fish to get in and out.

2nd-I just purchased an Undulated Trigger. Was told it should get along with my Porcupine puffer, and sharp nose puffer.

I do not have my water parameters just yet, but will edit post when I take them.

My first question is, can auquascaping cause my fish to run against the rocks and damage their fish and eye coating?
I assume the clown is swimming around in circles at the top is because his hiding spot is gone?

My other question is, could the fraying of the fins and damage to the puffers eyes be from the new tank mate, the undulated trigger. I have not seen aggression yet. I am looking with a keen eye though at this time.

Puffer before:

Puffer after:

Clownfish:

Any thoughts?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The damage looks pretty bad on the left eye. Re-aquascaping can result in some temporary confusion and it is possible for a fish to bump its eye(s) during this time. I would also ascertain that the trigger hasn't been part of the issue. B. undulatus is notorious for its very high aggression, even toward puffers, sharks, etc. I would like to see some water parameter info, if possible, too. I'm getting the feeling just from seeing it that you'll likely have to carefully treat the puffer. Unfortunately, you'd need a quarantine setup to do so.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
You didn't QT the new fish???

What are your water parameters: SG, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, tank size, water change schedule? How long has the tank been set up?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store