Question about adding fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

J_Vee

AC Members
Jan 12, 2005
:help:

Hello,

I have a friend who needs to remove fish from his 55 gallon aquarium. (Personal issues) He has 2 Clown fish and 2 Blue Chromis. He has had the fish for over a year.

I have a well established 30 gallon tank, I'm concerned about the existing clowns fighting with the new clowns and adding too many fish. This would be 10 fish and 2 inverts? What are your thoughts. Thanks

J_Vee

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I would agree... More clowns will likely lead to fighting. I'd be cautious of adding the chromis, too, as your blue damsel may not tolerate them in the tank either.

If you can avoid adding those fish to your tank, I think things will work out much better for you.

J_Vee

AC Members
Jan 12, 2005
Thanks Davocean,

I called my friend back and told him since I only have a 30 gallon tank I couldn't take any more fish. I calculated it out and have about 27.5 inches of fish, not including 1 snail, a cleaner shrimp and 1 horseshoe crab.

J_Vee

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
No problem, but keep in mind the inch per gallon rule does not apply to SW, and certain animals need alot more swimming room.
In a 30g I would typically keep about 5 fairly small fish, no bigger than the clowns.
I would also advise pulling most damsels since they get mean, w/ the exception of a few, chromis being one of those few, and also my personal fav damsel.
The heavier the stock load of a tank, the more you invite stress, more stress, can mean more sensitive to diseases and such.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store