Tyler79Durdan's "AC 40" new (to me) tank build thread. 56K pic warning!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
Ok, I am considering this the "AC 40" long build. I am calling it the AC 40, because its going to be documented within Aqauria Central Forum, and its a 40 long tank.

I was in my friends basement over Easter weekend, last weekish, and saw that her brother had an aquarium collecting dust on a shelf, and was immediately interested.

He showed up for Easter dinner, and I had her ask him if he wanted it in his new house, and his new wife immediately shot down that idea. With conformity and some disdain(toward his wife), he let me have it.

I left it there that week, as I had all my kids and couldnt bring it home right them.
I wanted to, especially because of the distance we live from eachother, but knew I had to come back the following week to help them do some yard maintenance.

I picked it up last night, and it is in rough/dusty/nasty condition.

The glass and frame are solid(from what I can see now w/o seeing the bottom), and it appears to have unblemished glass. This is hard to tell though as the tank looks as if it was left full, to evaporate 40 gallons of water from it. It has to have been down there for 10+ years without water.

I have been working over a To Do List in my head of what I wanted to accomplish with this build.

This is going to be a Rift tank.

Im thinking, a DIY full length foam and quickcrete scape, and originally wanted to build a centerflow chamber to hide the intake and return lines of my canister filter.

These were my first challenges, and I have finally decided on a filter setup for the AC 40.
I went with the SunSun outside(external) canister filter. This was the 3 basket model without UV filter. I purchased it last night on a popular Auction Site by searching for "SunSun filter". The asking price was 39.99USD plus 17ish for UPS shipping/delivery.

The second decision was whether or not to drill the tank. Well after some serious consideration, I decided against drilling the tank only for the simple fact that it would cost an extra 30 for drilling two holes(glass shop), and 20 for a sheet of smoked acrylic. Unfortunately, my wife just watched me spend ALOT of money after tax season, this year, on my Piranha Kingdom. :(

This build has to happen with minimal expenses incurred.

For your viewing pleasure, the AC 40... First photos!

After some more inspection, I noticed broken glass in the substrate.
I looked at the panes and the glass probably came from glass tops,FWHOO(breathing heavily)...

I plan on using PFS for my substrate with a DIY River Tank Manifold under the PFS.

I dont want to give too much away, too soon :)

Cleaning commences today!
-Aaron

Last edited:

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like you have a lot of good stuff planned -- looking forward to seeing the progress. :)

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Nasty! Have fun cleaning that glass!

I'd love to have that tank for cories... :D

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
Clean Glass?

Ok so after a little work, ive whittled down the buildup. It wasnt easy, so enjoy the next pics...

I really wanted to reseal this tonight, but my better judgemnet says " wait until you drill successful holes and mount bulkheads...

Waiting on Popular Auction site to accept/reject offer for diamond hole saw.

Declined my first offer, waiting on another offer.

BTW If all works out, I will be drilling this tank(w/pics)

-Aaron

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
drill, baby, drill... :D

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
So are you drilling this..or just using the canister?
Im drilling and installing 3/4 bulkheads, for the canister. I really want to hide the intake and output lines within the overflow. Im going for a much more clean look. I think the hidden intake and return lines will look much better, not seen... or something.

So I got a reply from the best offer, and he declined it, so I made another offer on the hole saw... If that one fails, i'll just buy it outright:( (Gotta Haggle!)

-Aaron

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
Yay! The seller accepted my second offer on the hole saw! Drilling/resealing this weekend(or sooner depending on mail)... :naughty:

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
You did a great job cleaning up that tank! Did you use vinegar or something else?

What are the dimensions on that tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store