Making DIY 6500k Led Aquarium Light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
I was looking on ebay and I found that they sell 6500k leds and you can pick up 50 of them for about $8.99.

I also saw so led bulbs that had 60 of them already mounted and ready to go into a regular bulb socket.

Do you think that it would be plauseable to make a light fixture out of it?

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
Using the pre-fabbed bulbs would be my choice for a fixture. Four of those should be plenty of light with the added shimmer effect from LED's. :)

I say go for it!

-Aaron

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
I think that I will start out with 9 leds over a small cup with substrate and one plant so that I can test if it works.

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
The reason I though of this idea is on another forum I found that they are starting to use this for reef tanks because they will get about 12 years out of it.

Also the equivalent wattages of the higher powered fixtures are now being replaced by 23 watt led strips instead.

Ucan

Registered Member
Apr 16, 2010
The reason I though of this idea is on another forum I found that they are starting to use this for reef tanks because they will get about 12 years out of it.

Also the equivalent wattages of the higher powered fixtures are now being replaced by 23 watt led strips instead.
Can you post a link of Led strips on eBay you are talking about? Thanks.

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
This will be for two 29 gallons that are currently planted. So would you need to replaced them like with the flourencent bulbs? Or with they emitt the right amount of light up until they burn out? I was interested in this because it would be nice not to have to change the bulbs like I am doing now.

How long do the high powered leds last / how much power would they consume?

Would it be equal to the amount of light fluorecent lights put out?

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
a 24 led array will put out way more useful light than cfl, for much less power, the leds are rated to last 50000 hr. it may look a little dimmer.

you can however expect to spend up to 300 dollars up front.

24 leds will take up to 100w at full power, but you probably wont need to run them that high, that will be enough for coral at that level, come to think of it you could go down to 18 and still get good coverage but not need to crank them up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store