pond fish disease

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

emuf70

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2010
Hello all,
Can anyone tell me what this is on my fish.

I've just cleaned the pond, and kept him separate, but wonder if it's fungus? it doesn't look like cotton wool or with bits of stringy things.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Don't know how much help this will be, but...
One of my pond fish got fungus, and it was definately fuzzy. The first round was short fuzz, looked like a yellowish cotton ball. Second round was long trailing greenish fuzz, almost like string algae but lighter in color. Looked nothing like what yours has there.

Does that whiteish stuff stick out at all? Is it maybe a buildup of slime coat? Don't give up on AC just yet. There are alot of good folk on here with excellent info, but they have day jobs :) and sometimes can't get back to you super quickly.

Have you cruised the disease stickys yet? There is alot of good info there, too, that might help until some of the experts can get back to you. Try both the coldwater disease forum and the illness and disease forums...
Good luck,
Jen

emuf70

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2010
white on fish

thanks for your reply.
I have been looking at lots of web sites, but haven't found any photos which look like this.
He doesn't seem to be eating. I've isolated him and wonder if that wasn't the thing to do, and i'm changing a bit of the water every day.
before we cleaned out the pond he had been eating, (though i've only just restarted feeding them after the winter.)
I'll just have to keep an eye on him and see.
cheers

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
When I had my pond fish in QT for fungus, it almost died, and someone suggested as a last resort, putting another fish in with it to keep it company, as they are social fish. The difference in just an hour was amazing! It started eating, swimming around again, etc. BUT, it had already been medicated so it couldn't pass on the disease. If yours has something funky, it might be risky to expose another fish to whatever it has. If no one responds, you might try a private message to Lupin, Inka40, or Flaringshutter. They have all had very good, reliable info for fishy illnesses and treatment.

In the meantime, the cleanest water possible is the best I can offer :/
Jen

PS. Another thing they recommended to get a fish to eat...squeeze some garlic juice on the food, they like it. I also got some live brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms to tempt mine.
Jen

Last edited:

emuf70

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2010
He doesn't seem to have eaten anything, but i may try the garlic thing.
thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store