What test kit do I need, why the difference in API Master Test Kit for FW vs Marine?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
want to buy test kits for SW tank. but a bit confused. which would you recommend?

but why is there a difference between FW & SW master test kits?

I already have the FW master test kit + refill reagents - but can I use same kit for SW?

if so then I can just supplement other tests? like GH/KH kit, calcium kit copper kit phosphate kit etc.

or if I can't use the FW master kit, will the reef kit suffice (but is missing GH test).

any suggestions would be appreciated. basically tell me what I should get! thks all!

xxx

API TEST KITS

1. PROFESSIONAL TEST KIT:
INCLUDES LOW RANGE PH, HIGH RANGE PH, AMMONIA, NITRATE, NITRITE, GH, KH, 6 GLASS TEST TUBES WITH CAPS, AND COLOR CHARTS FOR CHECKING RESULTS WITH INSTRUCTIONS. STURDY PLASTIC CARRYING CASE. FOR FRESH AND SALTWATER.

FRESHWATER PROFESSIONAL TEST KIT $59.99 EACH

xxx

FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT:
INCLUDES LOW RANGE PH, HIGH RANGE PH, AMMONIA, NITRATE, NITRITE, 4 GLASS TEST TUBES WITH CAPS, AND COLOR CHARTS FOR CHECKING RESULTS WITH INSTRUCTIONS.

FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT $20.99 EACH

xxx

SALTWATER MASTER TEST KIT:
INCLUDES PH, AMMONIA, NITRITE, NITRATE, 4 GLASS TEST TUBES WITH CAPS, AND COLOR CHARTS FOR CHECKING RESULTS WITH INSTRUCTIONS.

SALTWATER MASTER TEST KIT $17.99 EACH

xxx

REEF MASTER TEST KIT:
INCLUDES CALCIUM, CARBONATE HARDNESS, PHOSPHATE, NITRATE, 4 GLASS TEST TUBES WITH CAPS, AND COLOR CHARTS FOR CHECKING RESULTS WITH INSTRUCTIONS.

REEF MASTER TEST KIT $24.99 EACH

xxx

PHOSPHATE TEST KIT:
THIS IS EXCELLENT FOR TESTING THE PHOSPHATE IN FRESHWATER AND SALTWATER TANKS. THIS KIT WILL ALLOW FOR 150 TESTS. HIGH LEVELS OF PHOSPHATE ENCOURAGES ALGAE GROWTH.

PHOSPHATE TEST KIT $6.99 EACH

GH&KH TEST KIT:
THIS IS EXCELLENT FOR TESTING GENERAL HARDNESS AND CARBONATE HARDNESS IN FRESHWATER. MONITORING HARDNESS CREATES LESS STRESS ON YOUR FISH.

GH&KH TEST KIT $5.49 EACH

KH TEST KIT:
THIS IS EXCELLENT FOR TESTING THE CARBONATE HARDNESS IN FRESHWATER AND SALT WATER. THE PROPER KH LEVEL IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF GOOD WATER QUALITY.
FOR PHOTO:

KH TEST KIT $4.29 EACH

xxx

CALCIUM TEST KIT:
THIS IS EXCELLENT FOR TESTING THE CALCIUM IN SALT WATER.

CALCIUM TEST KIT $6.99 EACH

xxx

COPPER TEST KIT:
Test reads 0 to 4 mg/L or parts per million (ppm) of copper. Helps to maintain a healthy aquarium by ensuring that copper (a common treatment for many parisitic infections) levels are within the healthy range.

COPPER TEST KIT $6.09 EACH

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Some of the FW test kits can also be used in SW and are usually labeled as such. FW test kits aren't always compatible with testing in SW as they use slightly different reagents.

For your SW tank, no real need for a GH kit, KH is what you'd want. You'd rarely need a copper kit, unless you plan on using it in a QT system to make sure you've dosed enough of a copper medication for a treatment. If you're going to have a reef tank, you'll want to have at least these test kits:
NO3
pH
KH
Ca
Mg

If you're planning to not have a reef tank, you can drop the Ca and Mg kits.

I don't tell people they need to buy NH3 or NO2 kits, as the only time you'll ever use it is during the first couple of weeks the tank is up and running. If there's a competent LFS nearby, I recommend taking in a water sample to them for those results while a tank is young. It just saves a little money and keeps those kits from expiring before you ever use 1/4 of them. Many of the hobby PO4 test kits are worthless, as there's already plenty of PO4 for algae to grow (and probably the algae, too) at levels below what the hobby kits can detect as being different from 0.

I like the API kits well enough for NO3, Ca, pH, and KH. I'm not sure if API even makes a Mg, I've been using one by Red Sea that's not all that bad.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
thks for your feedback.

planning on live rock + fish

so looks like get the KH kit for now?

but my API master kit is for FW, kens sells one for SW specifically. wondering if I could get by with my current kit.

thks again.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
wanted to ask if my API FW master test kit would suffice to use for my SW tank

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
well, I used my FW API master test kit

pH 8.4
am 0
ni 0
na 40

how can I get my na down? only have 6line wrasse, pseudochromis, green mandarin, cleaner shrimp + lots of live rock.

thks all.

p.s. so KH test but any other recommendations?

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
well, I used my FW API master test kit

pH 8.4
am 0
ni 0
na 40

how can I get my na down? only have 6line wrasse, pseudochromis, green mandarin, cleaner shrimp + lots of live rock.

thks all.

p.s. so KH test but any other recommendations?
any recommendations please.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Provided that pH test kit is H/R, Salicylate NH3 (2 reagents), Nitrate also 2 reagents kit, I guess you can use them. As far as Nitrite kit(NO2), I belive you can but check the bottle.

Personally, always used Kordon or Aq systems S/W Master Kit + Saliferts.

As far as nitrate, i would not worry too much at this point. YOu can let algae do the tricks depending on the your set up.
If possible try hooking up Protein Skimmer (PS).
You can even maintain reef with couple of PowerHeads (PH) and PS.

How big is the tank?

hjrosas

Registered Member
Jun 9, 2010
As it was said before, the GH kit is not necessary, and the magnesium kit is. BUT, most magnesium test kits will cost you a pretty penny, while the GH kits are cheaper. If you want to save a few bucks, get a GH kit. The GH test kit measures the concentration of calcium and magnesium ions in the water. So if you make a GH measurement, then make a calcium measurement, you can use some simple math to determine the amount of magnesium ions. Simply multiply your GH total by 17.9 to convert from degrees to ppm. Then substract the calcium measurement from the GH measurement, and you will get your magnesium measurement. Hope this helps.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
thx!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store