What's that weird 'bubble' growing on the side of a neon tetra?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jb_lyndon

AC Members
Dec 29, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Last night I noticed a weird transparent growth on the side of one neon tetra just above and behind her pectoral fin. It's like a transparent 'bubble' about the same diameter of her eye and protruding about 1/16". She's also pretty fat, quite a bit chunkier than everybody else, and is gasping a little. Oh and it turns out that unfortunately our nitrite level is 1.6 ppm (girlfriend did wrong test and thought it was 0). ANybody know what this is?

DEmigh

Disturbed Member
Dec 5, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Originally posted by ~*LuvMyKribs*~
[...] Quarantine it in another tank [...]
I agree.

Also, while you're making the transfer, you can look a little closer at the "bubble." Does it seem to be fluid filled, like a blister, is it one consistency all the way through, or something else entirely?

Edit: weird afterthought: You refer to this fish with the female pronoun. Is she in a spawning way?

Last edited:

jb_lyndon

AC Members
Dec 29, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by DEmigh
Does it seem to be fluid filled, like a blister
Yes exactly a clear fluid filled blister. A perfect little blister too, not irregularly shaped or lumpy or anything, very smooth and even, filled with clear and consistant liquid... I have no problem getting a decent look at it as she's not swimming around alot. I think she's female but I'm not sure what she's supposed to look like if she's spawning.

Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank :(
I do have a bucket of course but no heater any suggestions besides buying one?

DEmigh

Disturbed Member
Dec 5, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
How far from room temperature is your aquarium?

If it's only a couple of degrees off, you could put the little beastie in a bucket and just turn up the thermostat. If you fill the bucket with water from the aquarium, it should hold enough heat to maintain temp while the room warms up around it.

I'm no expert on fish diseases :eek: I asked the question to provide diagnostic info for others (such as valerie) who might respond to your thread.

jb_lyndon

AC Members
Dec 29, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Thanks guys,
and Valerie in the event of gas bubble disease, apparently caused by supersaturation of oxygen or other gases, it seems to me that it would be a good idea to turn off the air pump to the 2 bubble stones. I can't see them having a very significant effect on O2 saturation but even a slight reduction couldn't hurt right? Oh and should I turn down the flow on my hang on filter as well? last night I set it to about medium as I found that somebody had turned it to max for the last week (I don't live with my aquarium) and the filter is rated for up to a 50gallon and it's in a 25g. Could that high flow rate have caused problems?

jb_lyndon

AC Members
Dec 29, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Any gas bubble disease aficionados??
I'm going to visit my fishies and will be away from this incredibly informative forum for the weekend. If there's anybody who can give anymore info before I go please do.

anticipatorily yours,
jb_lyndon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store