Plants tough enough for clown loaches?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tabendall

Jun 28, 2008
St. Johns, Michigan
I'd like some advice on plants that are tough enough to stand up to clown loaches. I'd like to plant my tank but they seem to break or dig up anything but anubias. I'd really like some taller plants for the back. Thanks for your help!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Stem planrs---Hygro, ect,

If the plants are planted and extabished, the loaches will not up-root them.

redtailshark1

AC Members
May 11, 2010
fish keeping in AUSTRALIA
I would say anubias aswell.
To my experience clown loaches love to turn amazon sords into amazon mush, and my silver dollars are eating the stems.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Stem planrs---Hygro, ect,

If the plants are planted and extabished, the loaches will not up-root them.
This is absolutely not true. Small clowns may not be a problem, bigger ones will trash stem plants.

To my experience clown loaches love to turn amazon sords into amazon mush,
This is only true if you start with smaller swords.

Try using java ferns on wood for some taller effect.

Here are a few snapshots of a planted 75 which had a huge amazon in it as well as the clowns you see in the other pics.

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
I have a planted tank with 6 large clown loaches. I don't have any problems with them although I do know that other people have had problems. I do feed my loaches plenty of veges so that might be the key to keeping them away from the plants. I have more problems with my ghost knife using my plants as a mattress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store