High Alkalinity, what can I do to fix it?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I just did my water parameters test and my Alk is on the high end. I noticed calcium seems a bit high as well.

The rest of my parameters are as follows:

pH: 8.0 (has remained steady over the course of a month)
Alk: 3.5 (on the kit I use it measures in miliequlvalents per liter, desired range listed as 2.5)

Specific Gravity: 1.024
temp: 78-80
Ammonia: .125 ppm
Nirite: .05 ppm
Nirate: 5 ppm
Calcium: 520

Is there anything I can do about the alkalinity or is it fine to be on the high end? No fish or coral are showing signs of distress.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Umm.. you have detectable Ammonia and Nitrite.. your cycle isn't complete yet or you have had some big things die in your tank recently. Alk should be the last thing on your mind at this point. ;) But to answer your question.. do nothing, it will come down all on its own. High Alk/CA are non issues... low Alk/CA are.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Actually, that alkalinity isn't particularly high. 2.5 meq/L is the value for natural seawater and higher levels, to a point at least, are not detrimental.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Ya the nitrite and the ammonia I know how to deal with, I jsut had never had an issue with alk/ca being higher than normal before and it freaked me out. I usually run my water tests before my water changes so I have an idea of what I need to get done. Should I be running the tests after the changes or before and after?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store