Poll: For a new coral addition, which would you choose?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which would you choose?

• tentacle plate coral (fungia)

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • elegance coral

• torch coral

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • branching hammer

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • ricordia

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • xenia

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I'm putting in my favorites and I having quite the time trying to decide which to go for next! Personally, I am a big fan of movement! I'd love to see what your favorites are out of the choices!

Last edited:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
With your tank being new and still having detectable ammonia and nitrites, I wouldn't recommend corals quite yet.. but when you do I would go with any of the bottom 4 on your list as those are the easiest and most hardy. If you want the most movement then xenia or a torch coral will give you that. First 2 on your list are a little more delicate, especially the elegance. But if it were me picking my favorite out of your list it would be the elegance. lol.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
If only you liked bumpy colorful blobs cause I'd say chalices, funny thing is when friends who don't know anything about the hobbysee the tank they always think the torch is the most money and the best looking thing lol. But on that list I'm going with the fungia

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
do not get xenia, ever.
Why would you say that? I have seen quite a few nice SPS tanks that had isolated spots of xenia and it was nice. As long as you control it, it can be a great easy coral that adds nice movement to the tank. Another plus is you can easily frag and trade it or some LFS will give you a small store credit for it, can't beat free LFS credit from growing an easy coral. ;)

MGDMIRAGE

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Very tough selection, i'd have to say Hammer and Rics.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I voted rics... Generally, a hardy coral that comes in quite a few colors (see CoralMorphologic.com for some nice examples of color variety) and one that can grow / spread relatively easily. At least around here, it's also pretty easy to sell / trade to other hobbyists.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
With your tank being new and still having detectable ammonia and nitrites, I wouldn't recommend corals quite yet.. but when you do I would go with any of the bottom 4 on your list as those are the easiest and most hardy. If you want the most movement then xenia or a torch coral will give you that. First 2 on your list are a little more delicate, especially the elegance. But if it were me picking my favorite out of your list it would be the elegance. lol.
My tank isn't new at all. it was up and running 5+ years before I got it. When I bought it, I transfered all existing water, filtration, sand, live rock, and a couple fish with it. It's been up and running in my own home for a year now.

Edit: I forgot a comma

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Oops, my mistake. I read your other thread wrong.. you said things were steady for a month.. some reason I was thinking that was when you set up the tank, a month ago.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store