New to ponds

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sumaii

I was here
Nov 2, 2008
My Mother wants a water feature and I have always want to keep gold fish so we have decided on getting a pond.

We are going to be purchasing a used preformed pond. The one I am currently looking at is 83 inches long, 55 inches wide on one end and 44 inches on the other and 20 inches deep. How many gallons is this?

It is going to be placed in a mostly shady location in the back corner of the backyard (fully fenced and pretty much no predators). She wants it to be very simple so I was thinking one of those spraying things maybe coming out through a pot.

How do you pond experts get electricity to you pond. It will be placed a bit of a distance from the nearest electrical outlet. Is the cord on the pump long? Or will it most likely need an extension cable? And is it ok for it to be buried (so the dogs or people don't trip on it and the lawn can be mown).

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I did the math and came up with 310ish Gallons (7.5 gallons per cibic foot). As for Electricity, some cords/cables can be used in direct berial applications or you could just get some conduit and burie it. I kinda like the condiut Idea.

my 2 cents

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
If your going keep the pond there for good, i.e not going ever move it, I would just run a eletric line right to the pond and have a outlet right next to it.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
ummm, i'd be a little more careful with the electricity than just running extension cords or burying romex. you really need the power source to be a ground-fault interrupter circuit (those wall outlets with the little test switch built in) with a good solid grounding reference, and as mentioned above the wiring needs to be protected by conduit even if it's buried.

check your applicable building codes too

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
If your going keep the pond there for good, i.e not going ever move it, I would just run a eletric line right to the pond and have a outlet right next to it.
I agree with this. My folks have a pond at thier house and they use an extension cord but its very close to the home. If its far away you would be best to run a grounded electric line right up near the pond (buried). There is also a local number you should be able to call that will send some one out to mark where all the pipes and lines running under the property are so you don't accidentally hit one. I believe that service is free.

Also, if you enjoy goldfish, you may also like Koi. They can be a beautiful addition to a pond :) Good luck with your new aquatic adventure!

Sumaii

I was here
Nov 2, 2008
Thanks for all the suggestions and input.

We ended up getting a two tier 140 gallon preformed. Right now its stocked with a bunch of minnows and 3 small goldfish. I picked up a canna pretoria which will be put in the top tier (no fish live up there) and two water hyacinths. The bag said not to put them in full sun for 48 hours and the pond is in full sun for a few hours every day so I have them sitting in a bucket of pond water.

Also.... earthworms are living in the sponge of the filter. Regular earthworms. I found them today when I was cleaning the filter since my clumsiness dumped some dirt (fertilizer and chemical free) in the pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store