Please help to identify this anemone.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scubabr53

Not so Junior Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Please help to identify this anemone.
I have this anemone for a month.
I think this is a pseudotentacle anemone, but can not get a proper confirmation.
Can anyone provide feedback based on the attached picture?
Thanks and looking forward to get your replies.

IMG_pseudotentacles anemone 1.jpg

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what that is... But, it looks pretty darn cool!
Good luck with the ID! Hopefully, Ace or Amphi will see this and share their expertise.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I immediately thought H. crispa next to a Leather Coral, but that's all one critter!

scubabr53

Not so Junior Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Yes it's all one critter. I have collected it in Panama around Isla Grande. It is about 8-10 inches across when fully extended/expanded and you can see the color.
First I thought it's some kind of Jelly Fish but no, it crawled in the crevice between the rocks and stays there. It's gladly accepting pieces of shrimp and fish but pulling these pieces in only by lower set (the real tentacles). I have searched the Web and available related books. The only close description I came-up with is Psedotentacle Anemone and still the picture provided doesn't look the same. This is the reason I have posted for ID confirmation. Over all it is a very cool critter.
Still waiting for someone to confirm ID, otherwise I might claim a new critter discovery. Wouldn't this be nice?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Try googling for "Lebrunia danae" (Duchassaing & Michelotti, 1860) or its cousins. AKA branching Anemone. Found in tropical western Atlantic from Bermuda to Brazil according my sources. That is if this is it.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It's Lebrunia. Nasty sting, too. We always called them "antler" anemones or "stinging" anemones.

Edit: They're exceptionally easy to keep and fairly undemanding as far as light goes.

scubabr53

Not so Junior Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
This is what I thought. I read about this anemone having a nasty sting. To be honest I have not experience anything while handling it. Also my fish doesn't get stung by it. The Red Sea Convict Tang still food from it all the time and doesn't get stung. This doesn't mean that can not happen in a future, but this “Lebrunia danae” look very cool and I decided to keep it. I brought it to my fish tank and feel responsible for it's well been.
Thanks to everyone that responded to my message and helped to verify ID.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Just becareful when handling/cleaning tank. Ive carried scars from Elegant Coral Sting for few years on the softer skin side.

Although I dont know the a status of collecting & transporting this species out of Panama into USA, should look into such regulations for your sake!!!. That is if you have not done for this trip.

I dont believe these are readily avail in US market , correct me if I am wrong as Ive been out of fish industry for while, so you should really treasure it.

scubabr53

Not so Junior Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for information and advice.
YES, I did notise that it's not readily available in US market also minimum information available, and YES I will treasure it.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Thanks for information and advice.
YES, I did notise that it's not readily available in US market also minimum information available, and YES I will treasure it.
I see youre from BK. I am in Queens. I dont know how long you been a reefer but there was really good lfs in 90's in Rego Park. I noticed there are few new lfs on the market in Bk, I never visited new lfs. how are they?
I know WWF in Astoria closed last year. When I visited WWF or any lfs two years ago after few years of absence in reefing, I cold not believe the price tag on most of corals.

Any pics of entire tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store