Clownfish breeding (maybe)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
I've had my percs since January and they've spent much of their time in the upper left corner of the tank. That's where they sleep at night. During the day they'll find some shelter behind the rocks on that side of the tank.

They were relatively small when I first got them but have since grown nicely. They used to be bright orange and white with black outlines on the stripes. They also only had two stripes; missing the tail stripe.

Now as they have grown they are a much darker orange and even have significant black portions on them. This is normal for percs as far as I know. Also, one of them has begun to grow white on his tail. It started as a small white spot but now has grown larger and spread to the other side. The other one has a very dark spot in that same area which looks like it could spring a white spot any day now.

Needless to say, everything with my percs has been going well. About two weeks ago they decided that they wanted to host on a tongue coral that is around 10" long. This was very sudden, as they rarely ever ventured out from their domain in the past, and if they did it was to scurry for food and then scurry back.

I'm wondering if, since these fish are becoming mature, the one growing the white spot has become the dominant female and they will begin to mate soon. I see no real physical signs of eggs within either fish.

If so, is there something that I should do to assist them in this endeavor? I created a hospital tank the other day. Just a ten gallon with a heater, Fluval U2 pump, and a K2 jet that I will remove (the Fluval is rated for 30 gallons so its output should be plenty!). I'm wondering if I should move them in there along with a rock or something, since they like to lay their eggs on rocks.

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
I suggest reading up on breeding.
Really, the other tank would be best for the fry, as you will need to pull the eggs the day before they hatch, and follow procedure on clown fry.
Eyes appear on eggs the day before they hatch, and really important to do this, as well as have living rotifers the moment they hatch.
It can be done obviously, but it can be a challenge.

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
I read up on some of this today. Got home and rearranged the rocks in the tank. Moved most of the rocks away from the clown area. If they do lay eggs I can just take the rock out.

Now I have to find some rotifers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store