120 gallon planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fatman315

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
So I just got a 120 gallon tank to upgrade my 55 to. With the sump this thing hold closer to 140 gallons.
So this is what I plan on stocking it with:
6 angelfish
6 German Blue Rams
6-8 Rummynose Tetras
8 Serpae tetras
6-8 Rio Von Flame Tetras
9 Corys
6-8 Otos
and possibly a pair of apistos

Plant wise I am going with:
2 Amazon Swords
1 Ozelot Sword
Hornwort
Ambulia
Corkscrew Val
Crypt Spiralis
Aponogeton crispus- I believe that's what species it is...
Ludwigia Repens
And either microswords or dwarf sag.
possibly some java moss as well.... haven't decided yet.

I'll try to get pics up as I get this thing completely set up. Shouldn't be long before the cycle is over.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) I would worry about the Serpeas and Angels.
2) What is a Rio Von Flame Tetra??
3) Are you going for CO2--If so the sump would rid your water of CO2.
4) Angels, with Rams, and Apisto would be too many Cichlids (can be done, but do not think so).

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
I have a 120g planted. Have Serpeas and Angels, not been a problem. As a matter of fact, I found a Serpea fry in my canister today. Little guy is cute and now hanging in a breeder net on the edge of the tank.
I also have a sump on my 120g along w/a canister filter and pressurized CO2. If set up properly, sump + CO2 is fine. Most who say it will gas off all your CO2 have never run sumps.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Ooh Rio Von Flame tetras are pretty! I wonder if they'll school with the rummynoses? Have you considered larger groups of less species? 20 rummynoses in that tank would be neat!

pjrichar

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Indianapolis,In
a trio of apistos would be fine with plenty of cover plants etc... they will hug the bottom and cruise around,,, may have prob if they pair up and produce some fry,,,in that case get grow out tank,, or some sort of divider...

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Tanker, I've had angels with GBRs without any problems but i don't know about apistos
That's not what I meant. I too have had Angels with Rams, but 6 Angles, 6 Rams and a pair of Apistos. is (IMO) too many cichlids. Like I said, it can be done, but......

Fatman315

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Sorry been really busy and haven't had a chance to post.
I have the Serpaes in with 2 Angelfish in my 55 and haven't had a single problem with fin nipping so I'm hoping that with more room I won't have to worry about it at all.
At least for now I am not going to do the Apistos.
I am going to do the 6 Rams (3 pairs), and either 4 or 6 angels total. I may do 10 serpaes total, and then keep the rummynose tetras at 6-8 like originally planned. I am debating 8 von flames or 6 buenos aires tetras. We have them both at work, but only have like 2 von flames and idk when they are going to get more. We do have enough for a full school of buenos aires though.
This tank is cycled and I am slowly adding fish now. I have the driftwood and rock in this tank. I am planting it now as well. Once it is done I will post pics of it. The filtration on this tank is a sump (holds about 20 gallons) with a trickle filter with a pretty good pump (pumps over 1300 gallons an hour), and an Eheim 2026 canister.
O and I do plan on doing DIY CO2, though all of my plants seems to grow well without it. I was thinking about doing the CO2 into the pump's intake in the sump. Would that work? O and it is not a submersible pump so it doesn't actually sit in the sump.

NegativeLogic

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Sounds like it will have some gorgeous colours and behaviour.

I personally think considering a larger school of a single or perhaps 2 species of tetra would look more natural. You've got such a nice large tank that you can really get the schooling (or shoaling) effect to a pretty impressive level, and the fish will appreciate it as well.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
Running the co2 line into the return on your pump is fine. I use a needle wheel impeller on my mag9, it has little teeth on it to chop up the co2 better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store