tank now 2wks old, see some new growth/visitors on live rock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
so every evening i sit & look over my live rock, the 3fish & 2crabs & 1cleaner shrimp.

1st noticed aiptasia so removed rock but it withdrew so can see it anymore

2nd noticed these very small tubes growing

3rd noticed a baby dust feather but it has withdrawn so didn't see tonite

4th I noticed some fuzzy roundish type growth. this is my concern, have this new "cottony" like mass that grew in 1day. looks a bit like part of a snowball. but upon closer examination I see below its surface/skin what looks like a brain, little compartment or segments in the mass, then one small hole in the surface.

sorry no pics, trying to figure how to upload from my camera droid fone.

any clues anyone? & do u think it's safe or should I remove the rock its on?

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
5th one I notice are a few worm like that are segmented (like rings thru its thread like body) sort of whitish popping out of rock's crevices, are these ok or should they be removed also?

6th one I notice, 3 tentacle like out of one crevice, not translucent like aiptasia, sort of bluish/grayish tentacles, could it be the start of another apitasia sprout?

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
7th one I notice tonite is I have 3mushrooms all circular,

1 size of 1/2 dollar (tannish with raised fuzzy like radiated lines/arms from it's raised center/head.
1 size of a qtr brown but greenish pimple like on entire surface with a small knub like head at its center.
1 was size of a dime, but tonite it is enlarged such that it is as big as my 1st described, but this one has a brownish/red body but with florescent like bluish line radiating outward from its knub of a head.

how can it grow so fast? or it another mushroom that came out of hiding? didn't think they'd be so mobile!

so can anyone tell me if what I have has any future eds?

Last edited:

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
Not sure on the fuzzy white growth, but it sounds like you have some feather dusters. The tentacle things you see coming out of the rock are probably some type of serpent star(fish). Is good.
As for mushrooms, yeah, they can expand to a pretty big size.

All in all, sounds like you have some good, quality rock.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Nothing you described sounds like anything to be concerned about. I'm thinking the white fuzzy growths are a type of sponge. Do they look like any pictured here?

Some mushrooms can be quite mobile, and when they move, they often tear off a piece of their "foot" which can grow into another mushroom.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
Nothing you described sounds like anything to be concerned about. I'm thinking the white fuzzy growths are a type of sponge. Do they look like any pictured here?

Some mushrooms can be quite mobile, and when they move, they often tear off a piece of their "foot" which can grow into another mushroom.
thks, this is a good start. 1st row 2nd col, 3rd row 2nd col.

but I can't see the segmentation in the foto.

do u think it's ok & not something that will burst & take over the tank?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Neither of those you listed should get particularly large. They'll grow some and spread, but rarely do they ever become a plague.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
Not sure on the fuzzy white growth, but it sounds like you have some feather dusters. The tentacle things you see coming out of the rock are probably some type of serpent star(fish). Is good.
As for mushrooms, yeah, they can expand to a pretty big size.

All in all, sounds like you have some good, quality rock.
starfish? these tentacles come out of different holes in the rock. hope so.

I did see a baby starfish on the back glass twice, just a plain ole white/off white rough looking starfish with 6 legs, one longer than the other 5. hope this grows. dang - it moves fairly quick cuz after couple hrs it disappeared!

pretty cool if my mushrooms started to sprout up. where the new big one is looks like 2 smaller ones underneath it.

thks

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
Neither of those you listed should get particularly large. They'll grow some and spread, but rarely do they ever become a plague.
now the fuzzy-ness is gathering a little debris so picking up some brown debris sticking to it. but what about the segmentation in the fuzzy ball? any clues?

to me it reminds me of some kind of mold. hope you're right that it won't become a plague or that it is ok for the tank.

so are you saying sponges in general are good? I checked at some vendors for their sponges & don't see anything remotely close to this cottony growth.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
can anyone ID the tubular protrusions out of the rock? they don't sway pretty stiff.

then there are the protruding tubes that look like the base is wrapped like a cobra's bottom wrap that let's it sit.

any clues?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store