which is better, frozen brine or mysis shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
so I was shopping for frozen foods to satisfy my discus/angel tanks & my new SW tank

comparing pricing & shipping, so far I have come across Dr FS & petsolutions

flat rate shipping:

Dr FS $24.99 (quantity discount if you order +6 mix n match packs, they don't have beefheart 80z flat packs)

petsolutions $19.99 (no quantity discounts, they don't have mysis 1lb flat packs)

I would order in quantity to spread the shipping costs - bloodworms, beef hearts, plankton besides either brine or mysis shrimps.

so which is the better shrimp? thks all

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
mysis it is, but can u tell me why?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Nutritional value. Brine shrimp have none with the exception of freshly hatched baby brine shrimp.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Nutritional value. Brine shrimp have none with the exception of freshly hatched baby brine shrimp.
That statement belongs in the same place as "A fish will only grow to the size of its tank". Adult BS have a shell composed of chitin, which is not bone but a very complex protein. Given that all arthropods are built this way, and that arthropods are the most numerous free living animals on the planet it's ridiculous to think that animals which ingest alot of arthropods in their natural diet can't utilize this protein. Nauplii possess fat reserves that adults don't, but to say that adult BS contain no nutrition is just flat out wrong. But mysis are definitely better.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Brine serves no nutritional value really some but not much.. its bascially just cotton candy for fish i feed it very lightly as a treat!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
That statement belongs in the same place as "A fish will only grow to the size of its tank". Adult BS have a shell composed of chitin, which is not bone but a very complex protein. Given that all arthropods are built this way, and that arthropods are the most numerous free living animals on the planet it's ridiculous to think that animals which ingest alot of arthropods in their natural diet can't utilize this protein. Nauplii possess fat reserves that adults don't, but to say that adult BS contain no nutrition is just flat out wrong. But mysis are definitely better.
Sub, when compared to other forms of live or frozen/freeze dried foods, Brine Shrimp just don't cut the mustard. Sure, fish will eagerly snap them up but adult Brine really don't offer much in the way of nutrition.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/invert.htm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store