unheated tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bozco

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Canada
Visit site
What kind of fish can I keep in an unheated tank? The temp will probably drop to 18 C at night, and come up to 22 C during the day. The tank is only 5gal so no gold fish.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
hmm....your very limited because not only do you have a small tank, but it is unheated too. 5 degree temperature drops have fish responding harshly after a while and some fish are hardy while others aren't, but I generally dont recommend an unheated tank. A betta might work, or maybe some white clouds?

Aquarius0015

AC Members
Sep 29, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
64.4-71*F.... hmm... Paradise Fish! Although some people here say they get too big the females only get to 3" at the largest (from what my research tells me). A betta could survive, but wouldn't thrive at that temp IME. Ghost shrimp, snails, amano shrimp, maybe a crayfish.

TKOS, would you suggest WCMM?

bozco

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Was considering a betta, but I have some white clouds at the moment as well. The reason its small is because I got it at a used goods store for five bucks, now I don't know what to do with it. Do white clouds do well in warm water too? I got them as a gift and they've been living in a tank at 24 C

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
White clouds generally like cooler temps but anything up to 74ish is ok too as they are very hardy fish.

Your 5 gallon can only have a few minnows, or one betta...but no big compinations, not in a 5 gallon...and not in an unheated tank.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont

bozco

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Turns out my white clouds will be moving to the unheated tank. I came to this conclusion after one was eaten by my angel. (woops, should have seen that coming :( ) Right now the remaining four are in with my guppy fry while I get the new tank ready. My probelm here is how do I prevent temperature shock when I move the fish into the room temp tank? My dad suggested bringing it up to the temp that the other tanks are, putting the fish in, and letting the water cool off on its own. Does that sound alright?

Aquarius0015

AC Members
Sep 29, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
Do the floating trick that people use to acclimate fish brought home from the store. Float the minnows in a tupperware container 1/2 full of their 'old' water. Then, every 15 mins or so, add a little bit of 'new' tank water. Once the tupperware is almost full, net the fish (I suggest slowly pouring the tupperware directly into the net rather than catching them) and add them to the tank.

Assuming the other parameters are not vastly different, this should work well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store