Sick Oranda Help!!!!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dvl445

AC Members
Dec 6, 2003
Visit site
Hello:

I am new to this forum because I usually keep saltwater fish. I recently recieved an old red capped oranda from a family friend. They told us the fish is about fifteen years old. I have noticed that he has many health problems. It appears that he has cloudy eye and flukes (because he sits on the bottom, but swims normally when approached). I treated him with both erythromycin (EM caplets by Acquarium Pharmaceuticals) and clout (for the flukes).

He also seems to have a vitamin deficiency or something because his capped part is very pale.

Am I doing anything correctly? Please help me!!!!!!!!

Thanks

im000629.jpg

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
Do you know that he is a redhead and not a lemonhead? Could be his natural color.

Best thing you can do for this guy is give him at least 30 gallons of room to himself and keep the water absolutely perfectly clean.
I would feed him a good selection of high quality food- if he is indeed that old he will need more vegetable and less protein. Look over the food selection on Goldfish Connection- they have the best foods out there. He'd like spirulina or shelled peas several times a week as well.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I don't know what the size of his tank is now, but he does need around 30 gallons of room to swim. That being said, he looks a little on the small side. I'm not exactly sure how long he is from the picture, but my 13 year old Oranda is about 12 inches long...not counting the tail.

dvl445

AC Members
Dec 6, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for responding

He is in a 20 gl right now and i dont think he has flukes but he does have trouble swimming so could that be swimbladder disease.

Do you think it would be best if i transfered him into a 30gallon?

P.S.- is there any food i can buy at like petsmart that is really good for him? like by Hikari

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store