Disaster! Please Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I stirred up my sandbed last night, like i do every so often (powerheads off). This morning I awoke to find two disturbing things. 2 of my fish, a blue-green chromis and the royal gamma have a little spot each that I beleive to be ick!

Also overnight, several of these little white spirals appeared in different sections of my tank. They are white spiraling tubes with little wispy things that occasionally shoot out of one of the ends. At first I thought they were like baby feather dusters but I'm not sure. There are tons of them are curled up on the glass. Any I.D. ideas? I tried to get a photo but it just looked like a white spot without detail.. i really need a better camera!

Please help with information if you can! The fish are in a 90g reef tank and I can't seem to catch them :( :help2:

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I have the same thing. They are small feather dusters called spiroids (i think that's their name). They will not hurt you. If you have it get SW ick treatment.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
do they ever move or do they just stay on the glass? As for the possible ick, I think I'm going to have my LFS guy come over and investigate. I'm a little worried if it is ick that the treatment may ruin my corals. I can't believe those things just showed up overnight like that!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
The spiroids dont move. And they do show up over night, its just weird. You are probably overfeeding your fish.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
How deep is your sand bed and how much did you stir it? Have you tested your water? Were you doing a WC at the same time?

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Sand bed is about 3" deep. i stir the sandbed and then WC. The spot i suspected of being ick disappeared almost as soon as it appeared, within about an hour. None of the other fish have it, so it is seemingly gone. The little spiral dusters are still were they first appeared.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
Your first mistake was disturbing the sand bed. You kill beneficial living organisms in the sand bed. Leave the stirring to sand dwelling critters like Nessy snails.

ICK can form from simple stress. Being a reef tank you should NEVER treat the tank with any copper based ick treatment and most all are. Once you contaminate the tank with copper it's nearly impossible to rid the tank of it. bye bye corals.

You can help your fish by feeding them foods with garlic. Most have it but not all. Try not to **** them off anymore. Ick can go away in time. Just keep your kids fed and try not to stress them out. Bad cases of ick you should look into making a QT tank with treatment...that way you can move your fish out of that reef tank and treat the fish away from the reef.

Personally I have never had to do this with my fish. I have one that if I annoy him too much he gets ick over night. My blue tang ....what a pain child. When I aquascape he gets ick very time.....it eventually settles down in a week..with some TLC and steady 80 degree tank.

Again ..stirring the sand bed is bad. You release toxins in the water to...in larger volume ...this will stress those fish out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store