BD with blue rams??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishiefishie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
I have a pair of blue rams in a 15-g tank, along with a few threadfin rainbows and a trio of guppies. I had some small cories in to keep the bottom clean, but they were relentless at eating the ram's eggs, so out they went (as much as I LOVE cories!). So, are there any bottom dwellers that are not so hell-bent on eating every last egg???

Thanks!!

flexbs

AC Members
Sep 22, 2009
Miami, FL
The RAMS as parents is the problem. They get better at protecting the eggs every time they fail. The last three tries all the eggs got eaten. Recently the 4th try they did a good job taking turns and finally they hatch but they failed to protect them at night and they were all gone in the morning. I am guessing one day they will get it right. I could be wrong but I am not going to take out any fish just for them.

fishiefishie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
I'm trying to specifically breed/rear the rams for an LFS here. He can't seem to do it and is hoping I can for him, as my rams (and kribs for that matter) have always bred quite readily. I'm hoping to sell enough to him to help with the cost of my emerging reefing hobby! LOL

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
If you are serious about breeding Rams then you should set up a tank for breeding them. this is the best way to increase the chance of successfully spawning the rams.
the fry will probably become food in any community tank.

I can not think of any bottom dweller in a community tank that would not eat either the eggs or the fry.

flexbs

AC Members
Sep 22, 2009
Miami, FL
If you are serious about breeding Rams then you should set up a tank for breeding them. this is the best way to increase the chance of successfully spawning the rams.
the fry will probably become food in any community tank.

I can not think of any bottom dweller in a community tank that would not eat either the eggs or the fry.
:iagree:

bangme33

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
yup agree with whats said, i have a pair of rams electiric blue and normal strain coloured and they have beed a few times but nothing fry wise all eggs seem to become infected with algae or bacteria so ive stopped, i no u can use meth blue but iam not into keeping empty tanks

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Do you have a breeding tank (and a rearing tank)?? If you trying to breed in a community tank you are wasting your effort. Even if they live you will only have a few survive per batch.

bangme33

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
yea the rams ive tried to breed was in there own tank just them thats all but nothing just eggs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store