Why won't they bite?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I'm in MD. I went fishing yesterday at a local reservoir and there are definably fish, they stock it and I saw a bunch jumping. Nice big ones too. They have walleye, three kinds of bass, bluegill, catfish, etc.

I tried all different kinds of spots from the shore (I don't have a boat). I tried around submerged logs, in the reeds, in the open, under plant over hangs, by the dock, etc. I tried worms and all kinds of lures: spinners, shiny things, red things, feathered things, fake worms, basically all the lures I have. I even tried some bait attractant in shrimp salt and garlic scents. I used it sometimes, not all the time. I used all types of reeling in speeds and movements.

I've never caught anything at this place and I never get many nibbles. I usually go fishing in the middle of the day but sometimes towards the end of the day too. Am I not getting bites because I'm not going at sun up and sun down or is timing not as important as it's cracked up to be?

Any tips would be appreciated. I do catch and release but it would be nice to catch something to be able to release it for a change.

I forgot to add that I don't like using minnows because I hate hurting them. Worms and bugs are iffy but I do still use them. I can't find live leeches around here.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I've had days like that...seems like fish jump all around your lure but won't bite to save your life.

Sounds like you were using mostly shallow to midwater lures. Did you try any surface lures, like a hula popper or even a floating rapala? If fish are jumping, that usually indicates they're hitting on the surface, so that's where I would try to catch them. I like using a floating rapala or rebel, just toss it out there and work it like a twitchbaint with long pauses in between twitches. A hula popper can work too if you're looking for a little bit more movement and noise.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Yeah, unfortunately, I used all kinds. Poppers and crank baits, rattle baits, beads, ect. Literally darn near everything in my tackle box.

I'm thinking about trying a new set up, what do you think? It would go like this in order from first to last on the line: 1. Bobber stop/sliding knot 2. bead 3. sliding bobber 4. bead 5. swivel 6. slip sinker 7. line connector clip 8. rigging.

And when I use a worm, my rigging will be a worm harness starting with a spinner, glass beads and then a two hook worm harness.

Maybe I'm over complicating things?

piggy67

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Battle Creek, Mich.
Real Name
Dion
I like to go to little mom&pop bait stores and ask the ppl there " what's biting? "" what are they biting on?" " where are they biting?" Most will happily tell you and might even point you to their best spot on the lake/reservoir/river.:rolleyes: could be just finicky fish though, keep trying and good luck.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Justprince, pm me and I'll let you know.

Its getting close to that time where stuff starts hatching and fish are gorging themselves on the hatch. Having the same prob right now on my river.
I think you're probably right.

grays

AC Members
May 7, 2009
I usually go fishing in the middle of the day but sometimes towards the end of the day too. Am I not getting bites because I'm not going at sun up and sun down or is timing not as important as it's cracked up to be?
Im from the south and things might be different down here but I don't think it changes much if you go in the middle of the day. I normally go fishing at noon till 6-7 at night and do fine.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Im from the south and things might be different down here but I don't think it changes much if you go in the middle of the day. I normally go fishing at noon till 6-7 at night and do fine.
That's good because I can't drag myself out of bed at sun up anyways!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store